D4s

I have a D4s and I have had really good luck using AF-ON with shutter set to Release and AF-C Dynamic 9. Sometimes I switch to Single point and that has worked well also. I had no luck at all with Group Area focus, it didn't work well, for me, with birds.

Have you tried without the TC to see if it improves ? I've never tried one on the D4s.

Maybe try using the dog and do it with then again without the TC ?

Can you post a series of images that show the problem?

Also, is there a reason that you've got focus tracking with lock-on off? That appears to be a setting that tells the camera how strongly to lock on to a subject. This looks like a situation where you would want it to lock on pretty strongly.

Another thought, how much of the frame are the birds filling?

Thanks for the quick replies.

I will be trying single point and focus priority next time I'm out.

99% of the time the lens is set to normal. I'll try active next time but from what I read in manuals and online, normal should be fine. However that doesn't mean its always right.
Yes, I use a tripod: Induro Carbon 8X CT314 tripod with Induro GHB2 gimbal head. When I use the tripod VR is turned off. When I shoot handheld (freehand) VR is turned on no matter what shutter speed, usually above 1/1200 or much higher, up to 1/4000.

Out of curiosity, why do you think VR has something to do with the images being out of focus? I'm leaning towards something to do with the autofocus system.

Thank you
VR does not usually work above 1/500

From my air show experiences with my D7000, which I know is a different league, but focusing approaching aircraft was hopeless until I started this mode, and after that I shot 1100 consecutive in-focus shots, including multi-shot bursts.

Single-point continuous 3D tracking, focus priority on release.

Start with your subject in the center point. The camera will follow the subject around the frame as it moves off-center.

Caveat is that it depends on the background. Depending on what's behind your subject, the camera may choose to refocus way back yonder. I've seen that often, and there is on adjustment for the delay which tells the camera how long to wait before refocusing if the focus changes abrubtly, as it would when losing the subject. On my camera it's called Focus Tracking with lock-on in the menu, and has 5 settings plus "off."

Thank you curtyoungblood! As I was about to reply to your comment I stopped and had to rephrase my response but I needed some more information so I had to do some more research.

Long story short, I did some further reading about focus tracking with lock-on and the light bulb turned on in my head! I completely misunderstood the focus tracking with lock-on feature when reading the in camera manual and users manual. It was not thoroughly explained in my opinion and I interpreted the information incorrectly. That's where my issue was and the camera is focusing magnificently! I didn't shoot too much over the weekend but about 600 out of 605 photos or so are in sharp focus with and without both 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters. I even tried my other Nikon lenses and the results are amazing on fast oncoming subjects. I'll post a few images tonight.

Also, to answer your other question, I am filling the frame as much as possible. The bird is usually filling the frame by 75-90%

Thank you!

Glad to have been able to help. It was actually my first thought, but the manual confused me too.

Most reactions

Back