D50 (plus lenses) or D80 (and stock lens)

Yep that's what makes a pro body a pro body. I am not really sure though if a D200 is considered a pro model though I think it is more of an advanced amature camera.

The D200 is a pro body.

Pro's use the sub D200 line of cameras however. I think the major difference between the cameras (at least based on the information in the B&HPhoto sourcebook), is the function of the individual cameras and their intended use. Anyone who takes a D2Hs or D2Xs out as a "I like photography, it's my hobby" camera, has been sorely sold a limited edition Ducati Monster when all they wanted was a reliable commuter scooter.

The sub lines are perfectly capable of creating professional quality shots, just like my consumner laptop is capable of creating pro level CGI - its just one will do it with greater ease and flexibility than the other.

http://www.bythom.com/d80comment.htm

Here's a pretty good writeup on the D80 that gives some info on what it poached from the D70 and D200, as well as upgrade over the D50 - in case anyone sees this thread and want some more information.

First off ... F Ken Rockwell. His writing sounds like he barely passed the 5th grade. Too many pages I've seen where he starts the review with "I've only used this once or twice but..." then goes on to give an in depth review.

If you're into using flash / flashes I'd highly recommend the D80 to use the Commander Mode to control the remote flashes. This is something the D50 is missing. You can always slap an SB-600 / SB-800 on the D50 to get that control but the D80 has it built in so you could save yourself a flash.

I have a D50 and although I love the camera... I'm just now getting into flash photography and for that one feature alone, I wish I had a D80. If you think you're interest will grow I'd advise on over-buying knowing that you'll grow into the more in depth equipment.

You said you'd buy more lenses in a few month so the lens arguement wouldn't influence my advice. :lol: Enjoy!!

Generally speaking, DSLR's are considered " professional " level cameras.
What in the world would give you this idea. Nikon has many lower end bodies that are nowhere near considered pro bodies. The only "pro" bodies in Nikon's lineup currently are the D200, D2h, and, the D2X and I guess there is a D2Xs in there somewhere. I am sorr but the D40 does not qualify as a "pro" body even if some people use it professionally.

To be fair he said "generally speaking". And if that means "what most people think" then he's not far wrong - many folks without a particular interest in photography in recent years have tended to see SLRs as "professional". Having never used one or had reason to, their main exposure to SLRs (as opposed to point-&-shoots) has been on TV shows and movies. You'll know what I mean if you've ever had friends or family call your cheap plastic film SLR a "pro" camera. Maybe with the increasing popularity of dSLRs more people are becoming aware that there's nothing unique or 'professional' about them.

But that's just the general perception among 'civilians' ;). To most of us who invest in dSLR systems, the D40 and D80 are not professional bodies. Of course a professional can use them. To say they're not professional bodies doesn't mean they're bad or imply there's anything wrong with using them. But to most folks here they're not professional SLRs - because they lack build quality and features we equate with rigourous professional use, and because we're not comparing them with point-&-shoots but with the whole of Nikon's line-up which includes cameras designed for and designated as professional. After all Nikon doesn't say they're professional, and you'd think they would market them as such if they felt they could justify it.

being pro just means you get paid for what you do... it doesnt mean what camera you use

since nearly all Pros use SLR cameras, film and digital then i would suggest like above that they are considered a pro range of cameras

just my 2 peneth ;)

Another Pro debate!

Pshhhaw!

I got paid, for over 7 months, to take pictures of models, portraits, families, landscapes, art photos etc... using this camera:

canon_powershot_a610.jpg

I made over $1000 dollars in doing various photo jobs with that camera.

Now I use my D50, and the people that have used me before don't really notice a difference in the final result, just how fast I get there. I shot a wedding with a D50, and still shoot models, etc etc, (check my flickr), and the D50 isn't considered a "pro camera"....

Most reactions

Back