D500 Focus Modes

HeldInTheMoment

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey All,

Lately I have been having some troubles with my D500 for focus, and I think it is user error. I am trying to venture into bird photography and I know I need a longer lens. Right now I use the Kit Nikon 55-300 or Tamrom 70-200 f/2.8. Both lenses have served me VERY well and tracked flawlessly, until I try birds.

I shoot in AF-C D21 mode for the birds and I find both lens to be hunting way too much. I think it is because I am still too far away to fill the frame and help AF get a solid point to focus; though, maybe someone here has an idea on my technique, focus modes, or anything else until I can afford the Tamron 150-600.

Thanks!

Do you have an uncropped example of how far away you are with the birds?

I fiddle around with local birds - a few eagle, large black birds. But the small birds are a hassle for the AF system it seems.

@coastalconn would have some of the best insight.

At this distance, the focus worked well...the setting on my camera on the other hand were not accurate, but I was struggling with the AF more so.
20170107_JDH_2343_3.jpg

At this distance, the AF is REALLY hard...then if the bird is around trees or perched at all. it struggles between the bird and branches a lot.
20170107_JDH_2329_3.jpg

Then anything past that distance is a crap shoot...not that the photo would be good anyway, but I would like to learn how/why the focus has issues and what I can do to make a better shot. Waiting on some cash to get the Tamron 150-600 :)

I tried to do an EXIF but I got nothing.
Can you be extremely more detailed about your shots
- VR on or off
- Shutter, Aperture, ISO

I do know on a gray day the contrast detection may have issues on such a small moving subject. But I have not experienced that scenario yet (very drury gray day) on my D500 and Tamron 150-600 with such a small subject. At night, the D500 struggles too, but that's to be expected.

D500
ISO 100
Tamron 70-200 @ 200mm f/5.6
Shutter Speed 1/1000
VR ON
Handheld

Sorry for the lack of EXIF info. As shared before I know the settings were not accurate for the shot, with the focus giving me issues I was focused on that more so.

For shots when the bird is so far away use group.. The D500 will not miss. Turn off VC/VR keep your shutter speed above 1/2000th use spot metering and at least +1 EC for the above examples. Shoot in manual mode with auto-iso...

If you have branches between you and the bird, group will grab the closest object..

The only wildlife I chase is a fast-moving toddler, but I usually get pretty good results with D25, or single point AF if he'll slow down for a moment. 3D AF-C worked surprisingly well, but I felt I didn't always have as much control as I would have liked, as I'm sure many would agree.

I came across this article/video a while back that did a great job explaining some of the subtle nuances between AF-C modes and when to use each for best results.
Understanding Nikon AF Modes (updated) - Backcountry Gallery

Last edited:
D500
ISO 100
Tamron 70-200 @ 200mm f/5.6
Shutter Speed 1/1000
VR ON
Handheld

Sorry for the lack of EXIF info. As shared before I know the settings were not accurate for the shot, with the focus giving me issues I was focused on that more so.
Keep in mind, do not use VC/IR stabilization for anything above, say 1/400 shutter speed. It will create adverse "motion" in the image. And it offers no real help for any subject that is moving like your subjects. Use Shutter Speed to stop action. This is usually a problem for most people, other than using a cheap UV filter on the lens and the wrong focus modes.

For reference, my Tamron 150-600 (first version) I've found VC good on static subjects for under 1/400 shutter speeds. Notice the first line "VC (Vibration Compensation) is a mechanism which reduces the image blur cause by hand-held shooting." If you think about it, if a subject is moving around and flapping it's wings, how is the image going to be stabilized? The VC was designed to accommodate hand camera movement on still subjects to help compensate for lower light that most consumers cameras/ users can't handle very well.
VC_v1.jpg

There was another thread recently where we had the VC rules for the Ver 2 lens.

But refer to your manual for your lenses.

Most reactions

Back