D5300 Question

JFRoberts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new here. I bought a Canon Rebel XSi ~4 yrs ago, my first DSLR, but it was lost/stolen a year ago when I moved. Getting the itch again and trying to do as much research as I can before buying.

I came across a package deal that expires on Saturday so asking for advice. It includes the D5300, Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm lens, 55-200mm VR, 32GB SD card and a cheap Nikon bag. The price is $900 including shipping.

I was seriously thinking of buying the Canon T5i , but I haven't seen that I can get it w/lenses for the price of this package. The reviews I've read comparing the cameras mostly say it's a toss up between the two, with some giving the Nikon a slight edge.

I am purely recreational and mostly shoot outdoors, landscapes, buildings, etc. It seems that this camera is good enough to justify purchasing a decent wide-angle lens, which I would love to have.

Anyway, I've looked at some used cameras and ideally would like more time to research, but this seems like a deal I should snatch.

Opinions and advice greatly appreciated because DSLRs are still new territory for me.

John

Id say that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I have the d5300 and I really like it.

I cant think of a better way to spend $900!

Thanks. I was trying to go cheaper but I quickly found out I couldn't get a kit with decent quality for much under $1K.

I priced the lenses and camera on a number of websites and figure I'll be saving about $200 on the package.

I myself would rather have the Nikon D5300 than the T5i, but then I prefer Nikon and think they have the better sensor technology by far in the 5300 vs the T5 or T5i. The T5i is like the fourth or is it the fifth (?) camera model Canon has built on the same sensor they premiered in 2009. Seriously. Not kidding. The 18-55 and then a 55-200 VR is a pretty standard, two-lens kit. Nikon has been running rebates for February, so...snag it soon if you want to save the money. Nikon's fiscal quarter is ending soon, hence the rebates they've offered this month trying to get in more sales for their quarterly report!

D5300 has better low light performance and better dynamic range then the T5i so its a better camera.
900$ sounds like a fair deal for what you are getting.

I have no particular love for Canon, but I am used to their menu system which (being Canon) they don't tend to change much, hence my interest in the T5i. Glad I stumbled across this deal because otherwise I might have overlooked the D5300.

Thanks for the input re the lenses . I know they're entry level but from what I've read, most owners seem satisfied. I expect they'll be fine for me.

Guess I've made up my mind.

I have no particular love for Canon, but I am used to their menu system which (being Canon) they don't tend to change much, hence my interest in the T5i. Glad I stumbled across this deal because otherwise I might have overlooked the D5300.

Thanks for the input re the lenses . I know they're entry level but from what I've read, most owners seem satisfied. I expect they'll be fine for me.

JFRoberts; welcome!

I have those two lenses myself that I got with my D5000. I use the 18-55 nearly all the time as my "go to" lens.

Good choice and hope you will make good use of your new camera :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back