D610 to be announced in the next 48 hours from Nikon ( oil issue fixed!)

Interesting, if it would receive the 51 point AF I would probably step up to FF.

I really do not understand how a decision of switching to FF can possibly depend on an autofocus of a particular camera ...

Because I'm already in a D7100, and would hate to step down to the tightly packed 39 point AF system just for FF.

It does not explain anything. This is like saying "I already have a bike with 5 gears so I will not switch to a car with 4"

Last edited:
I really do not understand how a decision of switching to FF can possibly depend on an autofocus of a particular camera ...

Because I'm already in a D7100, and would hate to step down to the tightly packed 39 point AF system just for FF.

It does not explain anything. This is like saying "I already have a bike with 5 gears so I will not switch to a car with 4"

The focus group is too tightly packed in the center of the frame on the D600. On my D7100 I can almost have the full frame covered in AF points, and completely covered in 1.3 crop. I just like having that convenience over a FF sensor. Sorry for not being more clear.

Well, all the Nikon full-frame cameras have the focus group "more tightly packed" in the center of the frame than the APS-C (AKA "DX" in Nikon-speak) bodies...

Here is a screen capture I just made from Nikon | Imaging Products | D3S | D3X - Enhanced Creative Options

$D3s:D3x AF focus areas.jpg

As you can see, on an FX Nikon, the focus area is more centrally-located than it is on the DX bodies...as you can see, when an FX Nikon is set to DX capture size, THEN the AF bracket coverage becomes what it is when the 51-point AF system is used in a camera like the D300, for example.

I believe the 39-point AF system used in the D600 and D610 bodies has the same basic outside and top and bottom area as the 51-point AF used in the D3-series cameras, but with fewer individual points. But yes, it's true...the DX Nikon bodies have AF points spread across their smaller field of view; on the FX bodies, there is more "outside" area that is not covered by AF brackets.

The D600 is looking more and more like a camera that Nikon wants to forget. There are now issues with the shutter it seems, some around 13K. I guess they will be dirt dirt cheap. Personally wouldn't touch one now. It won't have great resale

Check this article out on more problems surfacing with be D(oomed)600

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00c5Ct

The D600 is looking more and more like a camera that Nikon wants to forget. There are now issues with the shutter it seems, some around 13K. I guess they will be dirt dirt cheap. Personally wouldn't touch one now. It won't have great resale

Check this article out on more problems surfacing with be D(oomed)600

Bad News for D600 Owners - Photo.net Nikon Forum

Oil/dust problems with D600 has been talked about, discussed, disected....etc on this forum and many other places to a point that I think we are all pretty tired of it.
The complaint from the link you put of you post is a one man problem, this doesnt mean there is yet another common problem with the D600.
It might and might not, I would be careful labeling every complain someone is happy to share with us on his camera as a "common problem".
Bad example (lemon) is something that any product whether its a camera, a car, cell phone...etc might accure.

I personally think the oil/dust problem on the D600 has been blown out of proportions even though I agree I would be careful buying one especially that the D610 is out.

Not all D600 have the oil dust problem, and if you have it and can get Nikon to replace the shutter mechanism (which takes 2-3 times sending your camera in, because initially they will try to get away with just cleaning the sensor), you'll be fine as well.

And yes, probably the D600 will be very cheap now. It doesnt matter to me, I never planned on reselling my D600 in the first place.

Why would they name it D610???? That's soooooo lame! They should just call it D600 2.0 or something, with the "2.0" printed on the sticker under the camera. They really shouldn't make a fuss about this fix, because it never should have the need to exist in the first place. That's a really bad product strategy.

Now anyone holding a D600 will be like being discriminated as the defective one. Way to make up to your customer Nikon!

Yes I hope this is just a stupid rumor.

I am inclined to agree. The level of differences should have made it a d600s or something similar.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back