D70 woes

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
[rant]

So I went shooting yesterday, I try to take a walk outside and go shooting at least twice a week. Didn't feel like carrying my whole bag, so I just put on my 24-120 VR and placed in my messenger bag. It was just like any other day, I decided to go on to Pier 66 outside the Art Institute to get some shots of the city with Mt. Rainier in the background becuase you could see it nice and clearly since it was a bit breezy and the pier has a fantastic view of the town. The weather was gorgeous, about 7:00 pm, so that nice, golden light was just starting to come out, probably couldn't' ask for any better natural lighting.

Took some lousy snaps of the hill, lousy snaps with the city and the hill together, wasn't really feelin' it. So I thought, you know, that's a really bright, yellow sun nice reflections off the sound, there's a few sailboats and ferry's going to and fro, a shot of a boat going off into the sunset would be nice. The sun doesn't come out much here in Seattle, so it would be nice. Well, here's where the problems started.

Since the D70 doesn't go down to ISO 100, you can imagine my shutter speeds were pretty high, especially since I was shooting into the sun, even with an f/5.6 lens. No problem, right? The D70 can go up to 1/8,000th of a second. I didn't have a single usable shot with the sun in it. Even stopping down to f/16 to bring my shutter speed down to a point where the camera would be on a mechanical shutter I still got HUGE CCD blooming. Well, bracketing, and experiment after experiment and 90 shots later, it wasn't going to work, the CCD blooming was too much and it was ruining the shots. Well ok, I'll take some architectural shots and some street life.

So i'm walking around downtown, loosening up a bit, taking shots of the skyscrapers when I see this gorgeous 1950's hot rod swing around the corner. It was beautiful, it had the open engine, chrome, red with flames, the top was off, smiling driver. It was comming towards me, so I had to change my AF mode (I can't manual focus worth anything, my eyesight isn't good enough). AF-S would have tried to lock on to it, and since it was moving towards me, it wouldn't be able to lock. So here I am with my face buried in LCD custom setting menus franticly flipping through them trying to get to my AF mode menu in time when as soon as i switch it, VROOOM, it passes by. Would have loved to pan a shot of that thing. Ok, so I miss one car, i'll switch my AF back and try something else. Well, my card was starting to get full and so I reluctantly switched my files from RAW to JPEG. JPEG's are blurred so much by the AA filter it's often hard to tell what the point of focus is. I shot a few more of those and decided to walk home. I was done.

I've never walked back to my apartment angry after going shooting before. I was so mad, I went and formatted my card in the elevator on the way up. I didn't want a damn thing to do with those images. I've run into troubles with my camera before, but not all at once like that. I wanted to throw the damn thing away.

[/rant]

Hey Switch, sounds like just a bad day. Chalk it up to that. Based upon your story it sounds like the karma was off before you started out the door. The worst thing you can do is over think the situation.

Hope you have a better day.

heh heh, yeah I don't know what the heck happened, I was doomed as soon as I left my apartment.

And yeah, a D200 or D80 would be nice, want to give me $1200?

You don't have to get into the menu to switch to AF.

To switch from AF-S to AF-C you do.

hmm, I just found a roll of T-MAX 100 in my desk, maybe i'll rent a 16mm fisheye and walk around with my FE for a day instead. Get away from the complications of digital photography and try something different!

hmm, I just found a roll of T-MAX 100 in my desk, maybe i'll rent a 16mm fisheye and walk around with my FE for a day instead. Get away from the complications of digital photography and try something different!

good call. I plan on taking my K1000 out for a day of B&W shooting with a 50mm 1.4.

good call. I plan on taking my K1000 out for a day of B&W shooting with a 50mm 1.4.
Yeah, I need to go location scouting, I'm a little frustrated with my D70, and I don't have a wide lens that will work on my FE anymore, so I need to rent them. Maybe the Nikon 14mm rectilinear instead of the 16 fisheye....hmmm.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back