D700 Shutter won't actuate?

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Someone else posted a few days ago about their shutter not actuating in the cold after a while of use and I responded that mine did the same, we both cocncurred it may have been a low battery but today after shooting 200 frames mine stated doing it again!

What it does:

I snap off 6 or 7 frames while holding the shutter release at first stage, or half way down. Without releasing the shutter it just won't respond. Letting off the shutter release and pressing does nothing for about 10 seconds. Buffer indicator say 16, but it certainly acts as though the buffer is full.

Shooting 14-bit RAW
Continuous Focus mode.
Battery is full enough
Buffer appears ready
Focus indicator shows this > < not locked but it doesn't matter if I'm in Continuous or Single focus mode.

Only seems to happen after shooting a while but I may just perceive that, I may be snapping faster frames as I tire...I mean as the shoot gets into the 3rd hour.

What should I look for that I'm not?

EDIT 1/03/2012 SOLVED!! THe on board flash I use to trigger the CLS system was the culprit. It will allow 6 or 7 rapid shots and then need recharge....Doh!! Answer is to be patient or use another SB-800 as a commander but that would bring the weight up on this beast to like 9lbs. Radio trigger is the real solution!

Last edited:
Focus priority or shutter priority? It is custom setting A1 and A2.

Shutter Priority when in Continuous focus.

Hmm, I got nothing. I assume you've tried the easy things? Switching memory cards? Making sure the memory card was formatted in camera? Making sure the battery is fully charged? Cleaning the contacts on the battery? Doing a reset?

Haven't done a reset but everything else.

I need to look at it more in depth, I've just experienced this when shooting frames in quick succession during a model shoot, I bet it's my buffer and I'm not reading my display correctly.

yeah, that shouldn't be the cause of any issues. I don't know what else to tell you that hasn't been suggested already..

Last edited:
Mine starting acting up on Thurs. only I got the err message. The shutter would fire a few times and then nothing. Took it into my local camera shop and the repair guy was still there. UGh, he has to double check about the part with Nikon, who of course aren't open until after the first of year, (Image, taking the holiday off :grumpy:)

Anyway, I tried all the above things to re-group, but it appears I have a serious repair billing coming my way. They think so where in the neighbor of 400-500 dollars.

well it's still covered under warranty but I sure hope I don't need repair :eek:

that is good news (sort of ), mine is no longer under warranty and it is making me grumpy:grumpy:

So Ann, is yours doing the same thing or is the shutter not responding at all?

ok so it's not the buffer...just picked it up cold and shot off 50 frames or so. When the buffer is full it allows shooting at about 1 frame a second. When it is acting up I can't get off a single frame for a 5 seconds or more.

The buffer indicator number is an approximation, because image file size varies according to the content of the image.

understand but when it acts up it doesn't fire at all for a few moments, then allows me to fire a rapid series of 4-6 frames and then nothing again. When I just put it through a workout it didn't sieze to function, just slowed frame rate to 1/sec.

All settings same.

Most reactions

Back