D700 Shutter won't actuate?

It would work for a few shots and then it would stall (or as the repair fellow said, a hicup) then I would get the error message. Every time we tried various things it would repeat it's little dance.

and when you try now it does the same thing? Mine only seems to do it after a couple hundred frames in a short time span? Pick it up right now and it's good to go!

now it is the shop waiting to hear from Nikon about the part. ugh..........

Has it been fraternizing with a Canon or Pentax???

All Nikon's (and I assume any camera) will refuse to take a shot if they don't have a focus lock. What are your light conditions like? If they drop low enough it will be harder for the cam to focus? Just an idea. I would bet you a dollar if you switched it to manual focus it would start shooting again.

All Nikon's (and I assume any camera) will refuse to take a shot if they don't have a focus lock. What are your light conditions like? If they drop low enough it will be harder for the cam to focus? Just an idea. I would bet you a dollar if you switched it to manual focus it would start shooting again.

Huh? We talked about this in the second post. The way Nikons perform is based on how they are setup...custom setting a1 and a2 determine whether the camera will release the shutter or not on the D700.

I tried it in good light and it still didn't function for a few moments. I will double check my settings but pretty sure I have it in shutter priority mode for continuous focus but either way it's like it stops doing what it was doing ya know. I'm using it in a certain manner for an hour and all of a sudden it starts behaving strange.

EDIT 1/03/2012 SOLVED!! THe on board flash I use to trigger the CLS system was the culprit. It will allow 6 or 7 rapid shots and then need recharge....Doh!! Answer is to be patient or use another SB-800 as a commander but that would bring the weight up on this beast to like 9lbs. Radio trigger is the real solution!

Glad you got it figured out. Rapid shots with flash can always give you problems, even with radio triggers...

Wish mine was such any easy fix.:x

Yeah, I wish it was too, I hate to hear of issues like that.

When I say rapid sucession I mean like one per second, long enough for the OCF to recharge and beep.

Most reactions

Back