d7100 exposure bracketing

darkblue-x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to learn how to merge identical RAW images taken at different exposures to make an overall desirable photo that does not have overexposed sky, or shadowed areas that I cannot correct well enough in Lightroom.

I've RTFM, read the manual. I don't seem to understand. I know how to make HDR shots on my D7100, but it only merges 2 exposures and it forces you to use JPEG only.

Here's a photo of a waterfall I had taken the other day which I find is not doing the setting justice because of the shadow etc:
Dropbox - DSC_3710.NEF

When I had a 7100 I would merge those using Photoshop Elements 11.

The D7100 merges HDR photos in JPEG only, not
RAW. The best way to do it is take 3 or more bracketed images in
RAW and process them in an post processing program that does HDR.

I'm trying to learn how to merge identical RAW images taken at different exposures to make an overall desirable photo that does not have overexposed sky, or shadowed areas that I cannot correct well enough in Lightroom.

I've RTFM, read the manual. I don't seem to understand. I know how to make HDR shots on my D7100, but it only merges 2 exposures and it forces you to use JPEG only.

Here's a photo of a waterfall I had taken the other day which I find is not doing the setting justice because of the shadow etc:
Dropbox - DSC_3710.NEF

HDR and Bracketing is two different things. In camera HDR is only 2 shots and like you found out, only in JPEG. Bracketing you chose how many shots and what difference between them. So to do an HDR that you make in post. You need to either set the camera to bracket, or just make the exposure changes yourself. So, with your D7100 you can bracket with say 3 shot with a 2 ev difference. So -2, 0, and 2. Or maybe a 5 shot sequence. I believe the D7100 is 2-5 shot bracketing. Probably up to 3ev selection.

You really don't want to use the camera HDR. Unless you don't have software that can do HDR with Raw files.

Dropbox - DSC_3710.NEF

HDR and Bracketing is two different things. In camera HDR is only 2 shots and like you found out, only in JPEG. Bracketing you chose how many shots and what difference between them. So to do an HDR that you make in post. You need to either set the camera to bracket, or just make the exposure changes yourself. So, with your D7100 you can bracket with say 3 shot with a 2 ev difference. So -2, 0, and 2. Or maybe a 5 shot sequence. I believe the D7100 is 2-5 shot bracketing. Probably up to 3ev selection.

You really don't want to use the camera HDR. Unless you don't have software that can do HDR with Raw files.

Thanks all. I found a good video that clarified some things.
There was indeed slight confusion with HDR feature vs Bracketing.
I learned to set bracketing which has option of 3 or 5 frames on my D7100 and whatever EV increments you choose.
Thereafter I highlight the bracketed photos in LR and select to merge them.

Other questions though:
Looks like you have to use a tripod to make this effectively work correct? Can't have varying physical changes in the frame if you want it to work right?

Also, did Lightroom change, it says something about Lightroom Classic and then there's another Lightroom...

Dropbox - DSC_3710.NEF

I learned to set bracketing which has option of 3 or 5 frames on my D7100 and whatever EV increments you choose.

Other questions though:
Looks like you have to use a tripod to make this effectively work correct? Can't have varying physical changes in the frame if you want it to work right?

Also, did Lightroom change, it says something about Lightroom Classic and then there's another Lightroom...

Yes, tripod is best. Or camera on something steady.

Yes, Lightroom changed to 2 versions. Original lightroom is now Lightroom Classic. And they have a new Lightroom CC which is 100% cloud based I guess. If your on the photo plan you get both and photoshop still.

.......... So, with your D7100 you can bracket with say 3 shot with a 2 ev difference. So -2, 0, and 2. Or maybe a 5 shot sequence. I believe the D7100 is 2-5 shot bracketing. Probably up to 3ev selection.

3 shots, 2 EVmax.

Unless you use U1 and U2. Then you can get 9 frames up to -5 to +5.

Dropbox - DSC_3710.NEF

Other questions though:

Yes, tripod is best. Or camera on something steady.

Yes, Lightroom changed to 2 versions. Original lightroom is now Lightroom Classic. And they have a new Lightroom CC which is 100% cloud based I guess. If your on the photo plan you get both and photoshop still.
Thanks man, much appreciated.

Lightroom's HDR merge has an "auto align" checkbox. I always keep it checked, but I shoot off a tripod so I can't say how effective it is for handheld shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.......... So, with your D7100 you can bracket with say 3 shot with a 2 ev difference. So -2, 0, and 2. Or maybe a 5 shot sequence. I believe the D7100 is 2-5 shot bracketing. Probably up to 3ev selection.

3 shots, 2 EVmax.

Will need to give this a try on my D7100!

What real difference does it make once merged to Lightroom?
It appears as though LR reads it and adjusts the exposure functions. The photos dont even look that great to me once merged. I did one of a forest trail, where there were sunny patches and shadowed patches 5 frames 1EV -- ive even gone up to 2EV...still not overly magical.

3 shots, 2 EVmax.

After the initial setup (explained below), WHICH YOU ONLY DO ONCE, shooting an HDR is simple. You only need to make three quick adjustments to your camera before shooting:
(1) set the Mode to A
(2) set the Release mode to CH
(3) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments.

To set up U1 and U2 for a 9-frame bracket spaced 1 EV apart (YOU ONLY DO THIS ONCE):

* Set mode dial to A (Aperture priority)

* Set Shutter release mode = CH (continuous high speed)

* Custom setting e6 -> Bracketing order = Under, Meter, Over

* ISO = Auto

* Bracketing = 3F in 1.0 EV increments

* turn the Exposure comp dial to -3 EV

* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U1

* turn the Exposure comp dial to +3EV

* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U2

You are done setting up U1 and U2. Be sure to set Exposure comp dial back to 0 EV, set bracketing to 0F, and set the Shutter release mode to whatever you normally keep it at.

Now say you stumble on a scene that calls for HDR. 

(1) Set the Mode to A

(2) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments

(3) set the release mode to CH.

Now press the shutter release button three times:

(1) once with Mode dial set to U1

(2) once with Mode dial set to A

(3) once with Mode dial set to U2

This creates nine exposures in the following order (relative to normal exposure):

-4EV -3EV -2EV -1EV 0EV +1EV +2EV +3EV +4EV

After shooting, review the histograms and possibly select a subset of the nine shots, deleting others.

The procedure is similar for setting up a 5-frame bracket, and is easy to figure out once you understand the 9-frame setup.

3 shots, 2 EVmax.

After the initial setup (explained below), WHICH YOU ONLY DO ONCE, shooting an HDR is simple. You only need to make three quick adjustments to your camera before shooting:
(1) set the Mode to A
(2) set the Release mode to CH
(3) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments.

To set up U1 and U2 for a 9-frame bracket spaced 1 EV apart (YOU ONLY DO THIS ONCE):

* Set mode dial to A (Aperture priority)

* Set Shutter release mode = CH (continuous high speed)

* Custom setting e6 -> Bracketing order = Under, Meter, Over

* ISO = Auto

* Bracketing = 3F in 1.0 EV increments

* turn the Exposure comp dial to -3 EV

* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U1

* turn the Exposure comp dial to +3EV

* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U2

You are done setting up U1 and U2. Be sure to set Exposure comp dial back to 0 EV, set bracketing to 0F, and set the Shutter release mode to whatever you normally keep it at.

Now say you stumble on a scene that calls for HDR. 

(1) Set the Mode to A

(2) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments

(3) set the release mode to CH.

Now press the shutter release button three times:

(1) once with Mode dial set to U1

(2) once with Mode dial set to A

(3) once with Mode dial set to U2

This creates nine exposures in the following order (relative to normal exposure):

-4EV -3EV -2EV -1EV 0EV +1EV +2EV +3EV +4EV

After shooting, review the histograms and possibly select a subset of the nine shots, deleting others.

The procedure is similar for setting up a 5-frame bracket, and is easy to figure out once you understand the 9-frame setup.

Thanks for this, I'll look forward to giving it a try.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back