d80 mirror lock up and shutter is lock closed.

bubblefish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have old D80 with the mirror lock up and the shutter locked as well. There is ERR in the screen. When I press the shot button, I hear the motor turn but sounds like very weak. What is wrong with it? I was thinking it's the shutter assembly which is close the the end of the shutter life count. I found in ebay the shutter assembly is $20 but I just want to ask if it's the shutter assembly or another part. Thanks for any input.

Sounds like the shutter is gone.

$20 for an assembly? Nah, I'd pass on that. A real shutter assembly ain't gonna be that cheap. Plus such a replacement isn't a typical DIY project like changing a light bulb.

The shutter assembly is from ebay for $20. It's ship from china. I just want to know if it's really the shutter assembly problem. I watched a video in youtube on how to take the camera apart, so I want to give it a try.

Yes it's likely the shutter mechanism needs to be replaced.
Good on you if you are able to repair the camera yourself.

Shutter mechanism? No..it's the gear that retracts the mirror.Repair is about $400 maybe? Not worth fixing.
If you feel like a DIY...follow this.

s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg

thanks for the info, I was thinking it's not the shutter assembly too.
So it's the mirror box or the motor?

I think the repair cost is $400, if you try to do it yourself first then it is $800. :)

I also think a D80 is probably a good camera to take apart and try this. You can buy another one for around $100 to have as a backup in case you run into any problems.

I just bought a D750 and was using a D300 for the past 5 years. The D80 is just sitting there broken. If it's cheap and I can fix it, I can give it to my niece. I'm a gadget guy, like to take apart things. So it's like a project even if I cant fix it with the right parts.

Most reactions

Back