D800 Drastic Depreciation?

I'm curious if Nikon is going the strategic route of incremental upgrades every 1 or 2 years.
This will keep the pipeline filled with NEW product and keep their name abuzz with new offerings.
The backside of that is that it pushes depreciation a bit faster as an "old" product then becomes more "dated" because of faster, newer offerings.

You see this alot of software, cars (minor tweaks), computers, etc.

I'm curious if Nikon is going the strategic route of incremental upgrades every 1 or 2 years.
This will keep the pipeline filled with NEW product and keep their name abuzz with new offerings.
The backside of that is that it pushes depreciation a bit faster as an "old" product then becomes more "dated" because of faster, newer offerings.

They will not be able to keep their DSLR moving slowly forward, mirrorless is breathing at their necks and the breath is slowly becoming stronger and strong.
Nikon FF cameras are still leading the market in over all quaity (Canon fans will disagree of course but what the heck they know right LOL) but they will have to move to mirrorless sooner or later.
Eventually Sony's FF cameras will be as good as a DSLR and if they will get some good 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 good glass then Canon and Nikon will have a HUGE problem!!!

When Nikon will move to mirrorless my only concern is that my lenses will work on these new bodies.

And there of lots of idiots who have to have the new model even though they have only had their camera 6 months

They will not be able to keep their DSLR moving slowly forward, mirrorless is breathing at their necks and the breath is slowly becoming stronger and strong.
Nikon FF cameras are still leading the market in over all quaity (Canon fans will disagree of course but what the heck they know right LOL) but they will have to move to mirrorless sooner or later.
Eventually Sony's FF cameras will be as good as a DSLR and if they will get some good 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 good glass then Canon and Nikon will have a HUGE problem!!!

When Nikon will move to mirrorless my only concern is that my lenses will work on these new bodies.
Sony's full frame A7/A7r are already as good as Canon and Nikon and probably better at some things

Sony's full frame A7/A7r are already as good as Canon and Nikon and probably better at some things
In some things ?
Yes, A7 is a great camera, I love it!!! but overall its still not there, as I said in the past AF is good but not as good as DSLR and the main achilies heel is lenses, if you want fast pro Sony zoom lenses you will not find it for the A7, not now, maybe in the future.
But really I have tons of respect for the A7, IQ is pretty much identical to the D610/750/800 and that pretty much sums it up.

And there of lots of idiots who have to have the new model even though they have only had their camera 6 months

Shooooosh...........I am one of these idiots :(
Oh and it was 13 months, not 6 ;)
Cameras and lenses is cheap compared to my watch collection, it really gets bad there

In some things ?
Yes, A7 is a great camera, I love it!!! but overall its still not there, as I said in the past AF is good but not as good as DSLR and the main achilies heel is lenses, if you want fast pro Sony zoom lenses you will not find it for the A7, not now, maybe in the future.
But really I have tons of respect for the A7, IQ is pretty much identical to the D610/750/800 and that pretty much sums it up.
That doesn't bother me I have to manual focus my Leica's and use the same lenses so it is no problem for me

In some things ?
That doesn't bother me I have to manual focus my Leica's and use the same lenses so it is no problem for me
And thats the beauty of it, every system works well for those who owns it.
I dont have good eye sigt, never did so fast AF system is very important for me.
As long as you are happy with your system then thats what counts!

And without exception, most still suck at taking photos and they think that a new camera will make them better.

The D800 and 5dmkiii are cameras that should last most people 5-10 years. By that time there should be something new out with major improvements not just little tweaks for saps to drool over.

And I will point out that guys like DanO who post work that blows 99% of the work here out of the water, use cameras that are 8 years old.

And I will point out that guys like DanO who post work that blows 99% of the work here out of the water, use cameras that are 8 years old.

But, but but but, if he reads the ratings on DxO, won't his work become instantly crappy because DR??? Ooopsie. Nevermind.:icon_jokercolor:

But, but but but, if he reads the ratings on DxO, won't his work become instantly crappy because DR??? Ooopsie. Nevermind.:icon_jokercolor:
Come on don't take this too serious, I saw your work on Flickr many times, your photography rocks and that when you still had your older camera.
I said it once and will say this again, we are all like little kids sitting in a sand comparing who's "thingy" is bigger, my Nikon is bigger then your Canon and my Canon is bigger then your Sony..
Its all ego games which I admit I tend to join too but at the end of the day its all about the person who uses the camera.
Even limited old cameras can produce wonderful results IF photographer knows how to use it right.

Come on don't take this too serious, I saw your work on Flickr many times, your photography rocks and that when you still had your older camera.
I said it once and will say this again, we are all like little kids sitting in a sand comparing who's "thingy" is bigger, my Nikon is bigger then your Canon and my Canon is bigger then your Sony..
Its all ego games which I admit I tend to join too but at the end of the day its all about the person who uses the camera.
Even limited old cameras can produce wonderful results IF photographer knows how to use it right.

By that logic... NIKON IS THE BIGGEST!

Most reactions

Back