D800 or DF?

I think Bill is coming to full-frame from DX Nikon, so the loss of one shutter speed is mitigated by the shallower DOF that FX provides over DX--ESPECIALLY in the "people photography" focal lengths and distance ranges. I do not see 1/4000 top shutter speed as a significant limitation. I grew up on 35mm SLR cameras that had 1/1000 as the top speed on the vast majority of models; as a young man, Nikon edged up to 1/2000, then 1/4000 when they brought out the FM-2. The larger the capture format, the shallower the DOF for any given picture angle. My medium format bodies only go up to 1/500 second, but since they are larger format, I get MUCH, much shallower DOF with both a normal, or with a short tele, or with the longer tele. So...the idea that he "needs" to shoot wide-open in sunlight and therefore "needs" 1/8000 second is a somewhat debatable point if he is indeed coming to this from DX Nikon.

The weird thing about DX is this: because the format is "small", it gives a lot of DOF at each picture angle, compared against larger formats. Because it crops off the outer image circle, DX forces the photographer to literally "stand back farther" with lenses like an 85mm, just to be able to shoot a standing person full-frame. And the thing is...not at macro ranges, and not at close-up ranges, but once one moves into the normal distance ranges from 2 meters out to 10 to 12 meters or so, DOF increases at a VERY rapid pace with increasing distance. DOF is not a perfectly linear thing. As the distances grow longer, DOF on APS-C increases at a rate roughly 2.7x faster than it does at close-up distances [this according to Bob Atkins]. What this means is that if you WANT to "blow out" the backgrounds in full-length shots of people, you can do it more easily with an FX camera than with an APS-C camera; by the time you move down in sensor size to a 4/3 sensor, or a compact sensor camera, the DOF with their lenses, and their shooting distances, is soooooo great that achieving foreground/background separation through selective focusing and shallow DOF is basically, IMPOSSIBLE with the lenses that exist today.

There's a reason that so many fashionistas like medium format film cameras; they give shallow depth of field that allows them to easily throw backgrounds well out of focus, even in brighter, outdoor lighting conditions, with lenses that often top out at f/4 max aperture, and even at f/8 at 1/500 second in bright light, they STILL have shallowish DOF whenever longer lenses are used. Conversely, at the opposite end are high-level street shooters who absolutely LOVE the ability to shoot deep depth of field photos in fluid social situations because their format is small, and they are using lenses as short as 12mm for their wide-angle photos. A 14mm lens on a Fuji EX series is a 21mm 35mm FOV equivalent, and when used on a smaller format like that, the lens has deep DOF, so it makes pulling deep DOF shots easy! And so, to me, the "value" of 1/8000 second on an FX camera seems rather limited to me.

I think Bill is coming to full-frame from DX Nikon, so the loss of one shutter speed is mitigated by the shallower DOF that FX provides over DX--ESPECIALLY in the "people photography" focal lengths and distance ranges. I do not see 1/4000 top shutter speed as a significant limitation. I grew up on 35mm SLR cameras that had 1/1000 as the top speed on the vast majority of models; as a young man, Nikon edged up to 1/2000, then 1/4000 when they brought out the FM-2. The larger the capture format, the shallower the DOF for any given picture angle. My medium format bodies only go up to 1/500 second, but since they are larger format, I get MUCH, much shallower DOF with both a normal, or with a short tele, or with the longer tele. So...the idea that he "needs" to shoot wide-open in sunlight and therefore "needs" 1/8000 second is a somewhat debatable point if he is indeed coming to this from DX Nikon.

The weird thing about DX is this: because the format is "small", it gives a lot of DOF at each picture angle, compared against larger formats. Because it crops off the outer image circle, DX forces the photographer to literally "stand back farther" with lenses like an 85mm, just to be able to shoot a standing person full-frame. And the thing is...not at macro ranges, and not at close-up ranges, but once one moves into the normal distance ranges from 2 meters out to 10 to 12 meters or so, DOF increases at a VERY rapid pace with increasing distance. DOF is not a perfectly linear thing. As the distances grow longer, DOF on APS-C increases at a rate roughly 2.7x faster than it does at close-up distances [this according to Bob Atkins]. What this means is that if you WANT to "blow out" the backgrounds in full-length shots of people, you can do it more easily with an FX camera than with an APS-C camera; by the time you move down in sensor size to a 4/3 sensor, or a compact sensor camera, the DOF with their lenses, and their shooting distances, is soooooo great that achieving foreground/background separation through selective focusing and shallow DOF is basically, IMPOSSIBLE with the lenses that exist today.

There's a reason that so many fashionistas like medium format film cameras; they give shallow depth of field that allows them to easily throw backgrounds well out of focus, even in brighter, outdoor lighting conditions, with lenses that often top out at f/4 max aperture, and even at f/8 at 1/500 second in bright light, they STILL have shallowish DOF whenever longer lenses are used. Conversely, at the opposite end are high-level street shooters who absolutely LOVE the ability to shoot deep depth of field photos in fluid social situations because their format is small, and they are using lenses as short as 12mm for their wide-angle photos. A 14mm lens on a Fuji EX series is a 21mm 35mm FOV equivalent, and when used on a smaller format like that, the lens has deep DOF, so it makes pulling deep DOF shots easy! And so, to me, the "value" of 1/8000 second on an FX camera seems rather limited to me.

Very true Derrel, and honestly not something I'd really considered. I myself won't be stepping up to FX anytime soon, it's just not feasbile given my budget. But definately something well worth considering overall. Great points as usual Derrel!

I think something we'll be seeing more of (this is pretty off topic, sorry) is wider use of Brenizering. In-camera Brenizer makes much of the sensor-size issues go away, and from a software perspective it's pretty much exactly the same as in-camera panorama software.

I think something we'll be seeing more of (this is pretty off topic, sorry) is wider use of Brenizering. In-camera Brenizer makes much of the sensor-size issues go away, and from a software perspective it's pretty much exactly the same as in-camera panorama software.

Well, it is a bit off-topic, but whatever; this is the first of many D800 versus Df threads that we will see, since the two are priced pretty close. The problem with the Brenizer method is simply how many doggone frames it takes, and its inability to be easily applied to fluid or dynamic scenes and subjects. It's fine on rock-steady, posed shots and landscapes, and it allows some nifty "large format DOF" and ultra-high-rez types of effects, and it's kinda' cool too!

I love cameras. I love talking about them, discussing them, even arguing about them sometimes! I've used a lot of different types of cameras, and each "type" has its strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes a strength in one type of shooting is a weakness in another area. Some specific cameras have quirky features or quirky limitations, design issues, etc.. For the kind of outdoor portraiture/glamour/beauty stuff that Bill shoots a lot of, I think there are a number of good cameras he could buy, and be pretty happy with.I could make a case for any number of cameras as being "the best option" for Bill! But it's reallllly difficult to compare an existing model (D800) against one that is only JUST announced and is not yet shipping (Df), and is still just a pre-order item.

Honestly, Derrell, it's much easier for me to read your posts when there isn't lots of bolded text or caps. Despite that I still try to read 'em cause of the experience you're speaking with... and that post you got in #31 is why I'd love to buy a Phase One setup for macro. Of course, the reason I haven't because my CEO won't let me :( "No. We have to pay the mortgage for the next year." is something I constantly hear. Despite that I still got me a new motorcycle this year :D

I think I've already trotted out my Nikon 1 + Brenizer concept. The Nikon 1 already takes a batch of pictures at 60fps for you, and picks out "the good ones". No reason it couldn't do the same while you wave it around a bit, and have it "pick out the good ones, and stitch up a bigger picture". You're right that you're gonna get weird shearing on dynamic scenes, no question about that. Basically a worse, and 2D, version of the shear you get from a focal plane shutter.

Now pile this software into a Nikon Df, and suddenly the Phase One guys are in a bit of trouble.. Bang on the 105mm lens, "paint" the model, and POW, medium format at a zillion pixels. And with that sensor, you can damn near do it in the dark.

Most reactions

Back