D600 upgrade

ManuelGuerra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been using a D600 for three years and I love this models price/quality ratio. Probably the best ratio in all, I mean, ALL Nikon cameras.

Now the question here is: I though about getting rid of my second camera (D7000) and give the place to the D600 so I can get a better one for main camera.

The bigger issue I am trying to resolve with this “upgrade” would be ISO related. I want a bit better performance and less noise at 3200/4000/5000 ISO.

Apart from that, I really love the D600 and I think I will never give up on it.

So now, that I want a better model without breaking my bank account, I am going with the idea that the D800 or DF can solve my problems. But the more I investigate and scrutinise all these models, the more I realise the D600, considering its price, is the better answer and the best Nikon model (excluding the Ds).

Am I right? Should I just get another D600, or can I get better ISO performances with the D800 or DF?

Thanks in advance!

Ha !!
I upgraded to the D600 from the D7000 just like you.
Though I currently own a D750 and have long sold the D600 and D7000.
Also had a D500 DX

The D600 ISO performance is pretty good. The D750 is a little bit better. Teh Df was a little better if I recall (though no video, and cumbersome controls for some). Jumping to the D800 series you also get better performance etc.

All the higher models have many more features that you may like over the D600.
But you haven't really stated what is missing from the D600.
but I will state .. i wasn't sure either until I upgraded and really liked all the additional features of the D750 which I believe made it easier for me to do stuff. harder to compare something you don't have and don't know it will help until you've made the jump.

but unless you *need* TWO FullFrames I don't see why you would want to add another D600/D610 ??

Image quality wise the d600 is about as good as it gets with iso dynamic range etc. Other models have more resolution if needed. Other models have better autofocus if needed, but the d600 pictures are pretty much as good as any other 20 odd megapixel dslr.

Decide what actual improvement is needed and it will make or easier to pick an upgrade

As I see it, you have 2 routes
#1 - Upgrade from the D7000 to a D750 or D850 (FX).
Then you would be all FX. You would need to sell all your DX lenses.​
#2 - Upgrade from the D7000 to a D7500 (DX)
This gives you better ISO performance and more functionality, within a DX body.​

I have the D610 and the D800...I think the ISO performance of the two bodies is pretty close. The folks at DxO Mark seem to think so too!

The Df is slightly better at High ISO, but has lower resolution than most modern FX cameras.

Nikon Df vs Nikon D610 vs Nikon D800 | DxOMark

To me the REAL difference is the D800's more-powerful AF module; it just performs better than the D610 does, especially with slower-aperture zoom lenses. The D800 has the high-level 51-point AF system, the D600/610 does not. The 800 also has better external controls than the D600/610.

The D800 offers significantly MORe detail, and more extreme crop-in capability than any 24MP Nikon I've used (D3x and D610). I was surprised at how much better the 36-MP size image is than the 24-MP size image when heavy cropping is needed.

Having two of the same body makes it very easy to shoot one or the other. Makes it easy to post process as the image image is the same. Instead of higher ISO just have a fast prime on one of the bodies.

If you go with the D800, a good option, you have a different layout between the two bodies along with the features Derrell noted. So I think this model is a better option if your plan is to dump both bodies you currently have.

Having two of the same body makes it very easy to shoot one or the other. Makes it easy to post process as the image image is the same. Instead of higher ISO just have a fast prime on one of the bodies.

If you go with the D800, a good option, you have a different layout between the two bodies along with the features Derrell noted. So I think this model is a better option if your plan is to dump both bodies you currently have.

I agree with Dave442: two bodies of identical model makes shooting seamless; same button layout, same menu orders and menu quirks,same file size and generation (only important if software is out of date for one camera and the raw files must be DNG-converted), same feel, same shooting "timing",etc.,etc..

I agree with Dave442: two bodies of identical model makes shooting seamless; same button layout, same menu orders and menu quirks,same file size and generation (only important if software is out of date for one camera and the raw files must be DNG-converted), same feel, same shooting "timing",etc.,etc..
Yes I believe that to be a big plus when using two cameras. I though I could get better ISO performance, but apparently the D600 is fine. So looking for a better AF, the D750 seems perfect for my main camera, since my second one would be the D600 (and they have very similar interface and layout). I was forgetting how hard it would be working at the same time with a D600 and D800.
Thank you for your input!

Ha !!
Also had a D500 DX

The D600 ISO performance is pretty good. The D750 is a little bit better. Teh Df was a little better if I recall (though no video, and cumbersome controls for some). Jumping to the D800 series you also get better performance etc.

but I will state .. i wasn't sure either until I upgraded and really liked all the additional features of the D750 which I believe made it easier for me to do stuff. harder to compare something you don't have and don't know it will help until you've made the jump.

but unless you *need* TWO FullFrames I don't see why you would want to add another D600/D610 ??
Thanks for your input.
Did a bit of research and comparisons for the D750 and seems the perfect upgrade for my main camera. Will still use the D600 as a second camera since it has similar layout and, in some jobs, I do not want to be changing lens all the time. I need two Full frame, yes!

That being said, AF performance was also something I wanted to upgrade and the D750 will do just that.
But this model seems harder to get second hand around 1000€ than the D800!
Thanks for your help, definitely helped me decide!

Image quality wise the d600 is about as good as it gets with iso dynamic range etc. Other models have more resolution if needed. Other models have better autofocus if needed, but the d600 pictures are pretty much as good as any other 20 odd megapixel dslr.

Decide what actual improvement is needed and it will make or easier to pick an upgrade
Yeah I realize now that ISO wise the D600 is just fine. AF was also something I wanted to upgrade and models like D750 and D800 can help me with that. Since resolution I am fine around the 20 odd megapixel, I think I am settling for the D750! Thanks for your input!

The D800E's are going for a very good price last time I checked, used of course.

I wanted to toss my d610 in the ocean trying to focus on birds this weekend -- after using the D800 now, I'll never go back to the 39pt AF module.

Ha !!
Also had a D500 DX

Thanks for your input.
Did a bit of research and comparisons for the D750 and seems the perfect upgrade for my main camera. Will still use the D600 as a second camera since it has similar layout and, in some jobs, I do not want to be changing lens all the time. I need two Full frame, yes!

That being said, AF performance was also something I wanted to upgrade and the D750 will do just that.
But this model seems harder to get second hand around 1000€ than the D800!
Thanks for your help, definitely helped me decide!

The differences of the D750 and D600 is similar to the D600 and D7000 you have.
The vertical buttons on the left are in a different order and the top right buttons by the release are slightly different. And the thumb buttons for AF lock and that area.

• When I had just the D7000 I had the button layout with no problems without even looking.
  • When I added the D600 the 2 bodies are very close in size, etc and I was constantly hitting the wrong buttons - primarily the ISO and zoom in/out to look at an image.
  • When I had only the D600 I had no problem with button layout.
  • I then had the D750 and D600 together and was also hitting the wrong buttons. I reprogrammed the D750 video button to ISO. So only zoom I confused.
  • I then added a D500 (pro DX) which has a totally different button layout. So no confusion without looking. Loved the lit buttons though - when it's dark the buttons light up.
But using a D7200 with the D750 now and once again .. if I don't look at the buttons I can get them mixed up.

LOL

I loved having two FF cameras when I 2nd weddings. one with a 80-200/2.8 the other with a 24-85/2.8-4 lens. perfect combo. But I stopped doing that and couldn't justify having 2 FF .. so I don't know why I added the Pro DX .. but I sold that after a while for luckily more than I bought it for.

The D750 is a great camera .. with a couple annoyances. Such as when you hit the ISO button the rear LCD lights up with a menu that you can just simple ignore.

Last edited:
I recently owned and used both the D600 & D800. Decided to sell one to help my bank grow since I didn't need two bodies. Sold the D600. It's a great camera for sure. But I did prefer the D800 as the keeper.

I wanted to toss my d610 in the ocean trying to focus on birds this weekend -- after using the D800 now, I'll never go back to the 39pt AF module.

I feel the same, exact way: the 39-point AF module in the D610 underperforms, compared to the 51-point AF system in the D800. The D610 was a letdown to me (used to the D3x and its 51-point AF module). The D3x and D800 both use the same AF module, and both have strong, 51-point AF systems.

Most reactions

Back