d90 Autofocus problem

Photos de l'amour

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know if I have the wrong settings or what. I am getting irritated :grumpy:

I have it set so I can choose the focus point so I do and I take the photo, it seems to focus behind what I focused on. Is there something I am missing? Are there some settings any of you know of that are better? Please help!

which focus point are you using for your autofocus in the display grid? It focus's best if you use the center intersection.

Do you mean out of the 11 on the display, which one do I pick? If so, I move it around and find where I want the focus. Usually on the left or right of center. How would I focus on a face on the left of center if I use the center? Wouldn't the face be in the center then? Sorry if I am confused.

In the menu I have the autofocus set to single point and center point focus and normal. AF on AF-S if that helps.

Do you mean out of the 11 on the display, which one do I pick? If so, I move it around and find where I want the focus. Usually on the left or right of center. How would I focus on a face on the left of center if I use the center? Wouldn't the face be in the center then? Sorry if I am confused.

You can still focus the way you're describing, but from what I understand, the D90 does much better with the center focus point. The way I ussually get around it on my D5000 is to focus in the center, and then hold the focus lock button down on the back of the camera while I recompose and shoot.

I have tried so hard to understand the AE-L and AF-L button. I am not sure what to setting to use in the menu for it.
Do you just focus and then hold that down, move the camera to where you want the subject then shoot while holding it? I have really read the manual and messed with it but can't figure it out.

Are you focusing then recomposing? That could be the problem. And yes, the center point is the sharpest, most accurate. The outer points are a little softer.

Make sure your exposure is good. Bad exposure can make your focus look soft.

I am reading the meter and it is in the middle. So I think exposure is fine.

So should I change settings from single point to something else? I usually pick the focus point and then focus and shoot. I have not used the AE-L button cuz I don't understand it yet. If I have to focus on the center then do I just hold that button and move to where the subject is where I want and then shoot??

I have tried so hard to understand the AE-L and AF-L button. I am not sure what to setting to use in the menu for it.
Do you just focus and then hold that down, move the camera to where you want the subject then shoot while holding it? I have really read the manual and messed with it but can't figure it out.

Yep, that's about it, I pick my focus pressing the shutter halfway down, then hold in the focus lock and let go of the shutter. While holding in the focus lock I recompose and shoot.

I ussually shoot in AF Area mode Continuous mode.. I don't normally use "dynamic" focus mode. I used to have issues with dynamic focus moving my focus point because it thought my subject moved and would adjust for movement.

You can still focus the way you're describing, but from what I understand, the D90 does much better with the center focus point. The way I ussually get around it on my D5000 is to focus in the center, and then hold the focus lock button down on the back of the camera while I recompose and shoot.

+1

The D90 only has a single cross-type focus point, and it's the middle point. Plus, you can change the size of that center focus point (menu a2, page 174 of the manual).

There are 2 auto focus settings that have to be made:
  1. Focus mode
  2. Focus area mode
For taking pictures of non-moving subjects you want the focus mode set to AF-S (single focus) or AF-A.

For portraiture you want the focus area mode set to single point (page 173).

See page 57 for Focus Lock info and page 200 (menu f4) for assigning the AE-L/AF-L button function.

Last edited:
Ok, I have it set to AF-S. So I should just use the center point to focus and then hold the AE-L button, then move the camera to have the subject where I want and shoot? I was changing the focus point to one on the outside edge and shooting. Seemed like a very soft focus. I will work on using the center point. Thanks

Ok, I have it set to AF-S. So I should just use the center point to focus and then hold the AE-L button, then move the camera to have the subject where I want and shoot? I was changing the focus point to one on the outside edge and shooting. Seemed like a very soft focus. I will work on using the center point. Thanks

I recommend moving the AF function off of the shutter release button (page 200, menu f4) and to the AE-L/AF-L button as the AF-On mode.

I don't know if this is what you're asking but I had a similar concern. When on manual focus point selection (not manual focus) I couldn't figure out why nothing was in focus. Turns out you have to use the arrow buttons on the back to move the focus point around. The arrow buttons are the ones around the OK button. Let me know if this is the issue. I found it in the manual.

That is what I was doing. Moving the arrow buttons on the back of camera to move the focus point. But I was using the focus points on the sides and I guess they aren't as good of focus as the center. Thanks

Most reactions

Back