Daily Adventure - Critique Please

RitchieE24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I picked up my new D7200 a few days ago. I have finally had the time to shoot some photos new my house. Anyone have any tips and tricks with this camera? I am shooting in RAW and have set the photo processing to "flat". I was mostly using the "programmed auto" setting with an ISO set to a low setting.
JUL_4203-Edit.jpg
Waterloo.jpg
St Jacobs.jpg

I like one and two but I think number 1 without the grass strands in front left would improve it just at first glance. On more detailed inspection when you focused on the grass in the front left, which perhaps the camera did, the detail was lost on the right. Image 2 is also nice, is that a bird on the roof, try some with it facing out, i.e., head first or even exiting the nest.

I like one and two but I think number 1 without the grass strands in front left would improve it just at first glance. On more detailed inspection when you focused on the grass in the front left, which perhaps the camera did, the detail was lost on the right. Image 2 is also nice, is that a bird on the roof, try some with it facing out, i.e., head first or even exiting the nest.

Thanks! I agree now that you mention that! I noticed that too once I was home and had the photos on a screen that my eyes can see. I believe it is just a short broken branch behind the birdhouse. I'm noticing already that I am relatively heavy on the saturation/vibrance. I guess a difference in monitors is large (home vs. work)

Since this is the first time I have been out in a long time I am happy with some of the photos. I'm on the hunt for some new glass at the moment. Lets hope for some good used deals!

Anyone have any tips and tricks with this camera?
What were you trying to do that (in your mind) the camera did not do?

Your camera is not a unique machine that needs to be adjusted and tweaked in some obscure manner to perform like all the other DSLRs out there.

Anyone have any tips and tricks with this camera?
What were you trying to do that (in your mind) the camera did not do?

Your camera is not a unique machine that needs to be adjusted and tweaked in some obscure manner to perform like all the other DSLRs out there.
I am just wondering if someone who has shot with a similar camera has and suggestions on settings, custom menu layouts, etc. I have already set the first card to shoot RAW with the second card saving the JPEGs (mainly so my family can easily view the photos on my computer).

I am new to having a camera with this much customizability so it is a bit overwhelming. I have been opening the manual whenever there is something I am unsure about.

What is your opinion of formatting the cards each time I copy the photos to my HDDs?

..suggestions on settings, custom menu layouts, etc.
I think you may be jumping the gun here. Why not learn standard stuff first, then explore the custom stuff after you've gotten some experience?

..suggestions on settings, custom menu layouts, etc.
I think you may be jumping the gun here. Why not learn standard stuff first, then explore the custom stuff after you've gotten some experience?

If there's a better way for things to be layed out why not learn it that way first? No reason to learn how to use it efficiently one way only to have to learn a better way once again down the road. It's not like the principles are any different.

Perhaps you should take this up with Nikon and the engineers who designed the camera.

Perhaps you should take this up with Nikon and the engineers who designed the camera.

No. They offered the functions on the camera so I figured I would see if anyone had any "favourite" settings. Don't try to disparage me simply because I haven't been doing this as long as others. I am simply asking if anyone has any suggestions which could possibly help me as a beginner.

But I guess I'm an idiot who asked an idiot's question. I'll see myself out.

If there's a better way for things to be layed out why not learn it that way first? No reason to learn how to use it efficiently one way only to have to learn a better way once again down the road. It's not like the principles are any different.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that it's the camera that makes the photo, it isn't. It's the nature and quality of the light in which you take it. All the custom settings do is adjust the way the camera auto-exposes for various lighting scenarios. Learn about the light, how scenes look different in front light compared to side light, how they totally change with backlight, See the differences in diffuse light and strong sunlight. Get to know how this and the distribution of shadows changes and how this affects the DR and exposure. This will give you the understanding of the camera settings.

There are other settings regarding the processing of jpegs in camera and again understanding the light will help you understand their function.

I use a D600, I shoot raw in aperture priority or full manual, generally at base ISO with auto white balance. I never bother with any of the creative mode stuff, but I would suggest you learn how to adjust the AF functions and the metering modes, and how this affects the finished image first.

The problem is, I shoot one way, you shoot another, so even if I tell you exactly how I set up my camera as far as custom menus, general configuration, etc, it probably won't be optimal for you. The best thing you can do is keep shooting, and decide what works for you. Chances are, that will change a dozen times before you settle on a final layout.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that it's the camera that makes the photo, it isn't. It's the nature and quality of the light in which you take it. All the custom settings do is adjust the way the camera auto-exposes for various lighting scenarios. Learn about the light, how scenes look different in front light compared to side light, how they totally change with backlight, See the differences in diffuse light and strong sunlight. Get to know how this and the distribution of shadows changes and how this affects the DR and exposure. This will give you the understanding of the camera settings.

There are other settings regarding the processing of jpegs in camera and again understanding the light will help you understand their function.

I use a D600, I shoot raw in aperture priority or full manual, generally at base ISO with auto white balance. I never bother with any of the creative mode stuff, but I would suggest you learn how to adjust the AF functions and the metering modes, and how this affects the finished image first.

I am aware to avoid the creative modes. I am simply thinking in terms of the custom menus where you can choose an order of the camera controls. I'm not sure of another way to word that. I have been using the base ISO as often as I can. I shoot with a tripod or monopod most of the time since my hands are far from steady.

The problem is, I shoot one way, you shoot another, so even if I tell you exactly how I set up my camera as far as custom menus, general configuration, etc, it probably won't be optimal for you. The best thing you can do is keep shooting, and decide what works for you. Chances are, that will change a dozen times before you settle on a final layout.

True, I suppose I should keep a mental note as to which settings I am commonly changing, then create a setup based around that.

Don't try to disparage me..
My replies have been far from disparaging.

I'm trying to help.

See post #6.

As for your adopting anyone else's "favorite settings", how would you know if they're right for you?

Are you prepared to set your camera's settings and menus to match everyone's who has made some changes to their camera, and to repeat the process until the cows some home?

If you attempted to do that, you would have to keep some very detailed notes as to what you liked and what you didn't like regarding every possible customization available so you could then eventually settle on one that you considered optimum.

Good luck!

I have a d5100 so its a step down and maybe four years older then what you have but I don't understand what you mean by custom configuration do you mean how the screen looks or is it more like assigning different buttons to do certain jobs when pressed.

On formatting cards have you somewhere to store the files cause once its formatted then thats it images are gone. Its the recommended practice but if you don't have piles of stuff on the card then it doesn't make much difference, that said transferring images to a computer or external static drive, if you have one, is better then leaving them on a memory card as you may lose the card. Also the images you don't like just delete them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back