Damaged Lens During Shipping, am I being scammed?

rgh5025

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking for some advice from some experts. I sold a 35mm Canon lens on ebay. The buyer received it and said the scratch which is photographed was present. The buyer claims the bottom lens cap became loose during shipping and the cap must have scratched against the lens. Is this even possible? The lens cap was snug, wrapped multiple times in plastic, and then packed tight with layers of bubble wrap, so there was no room for movement. What could the buyer's angle be for wanting to return this? Is this something that could really happen? I don't see how the bottom lens cap could come loose during shipping and cause this kind of scratch. Any opinions are greatly appreciated! The first picture is the before, the next is the after.

Attachments

• DSC_0951.JPG
    DSC_0951.JPG
    649.7 KB · Views: 250
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    600.5 KB · Views: 193
Buyer's angle might be to 'rent' the lens at no cost.

Unfortunately, Ebay's default position is on the side of the buyer so you've got one helluvan uphill battle.

Last edited:
I did take insurance on the shipment, but I feel like they are going to laugh at a claim like this.

The buyer could be swapping out the unscratched lens you sent them for a previously scratched item.

I not only see a huge fatal scratch on the glass, but part of the lens mount as well (that doesn't appear in the first image, which I assume is one taken for the listing).

scratched.jpg

I can't imagine any plastic cap doing that.

The buyer could be swapping out the unscratched lens you sent them for a previously scratched item.
Is it possible to just remove the back glass piece, so that the serial numbers will still match when I receive the lens back. How complicated is it to replace the back glass?

Is it possible to just remove the back glass piece, so that the serial numbers will still match when I receive the lens back. How complicated is it to replace the back glass?

It's not hard. If you look at the 2 holes on the ring that secures the glass, this is for the tool used to unscrew it. Among the possible scam, he may had the same lens, damaged it, and bought one on eBay, repaired his with your lens, and returned your lens with his damaged back glass piece. This sucks big time.

The cynic in me would say to purchase the same lens on eBay, repair yours, and return the lens to the seller using eBay's favorable policies to buyers, but this is obviously not right. Don't flame me on this, I'm just half kidding! OK?

I hope you have some good pictures of your lens before you sent it to the buyer, so you have something for your defense. Hopefully some clear pictures of both business ends of your lens. Your other chance is with the insurance you bought from the shipping company. I would contact them, let them know what you think, provide them with your pictures, and let them deal with the buyer. They have lawyers, and they are used to deal with scammers, so hopefully they will handle it, not you. That being said, Paypal may reverse the payment until the issue is resolved though... That would suck again.

Note to myself : If I ever sell something on eBay, take zillions of pictures of the object itself, and several pictures of the packaging too. Buy insurance from the shipping company, and hope for the best.

Scam.

using tapatalk.

check the guys ebay history to see what else he has bought and stuff. Might not tell you the answer but might expose something.
Though with eBay, not sure what you can do.

it happened sometime between 4/24/2015 and whenever you got it. if you actually adjust the levels of his underexposed image, there's no damage present.

no way a lens cap could do that. that lens was dropped against a hard rough surface, like concrete.

it happened sometime between 4/24/2015 and whenever you got it. if you actually adjust the levels of his underexposed image, there's no damage present.

no way a lens cap could do that. that lens was dropped against a hard rough surface, like concrete.
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Can you post a pic of how you adjusted the levels of the image you are calling underexposed? Maybe I can use it as evidence towards my claim. Thanks!

Simple levels adjustment.

DSC_0951.jpg

levels.jpg

If you record your serial number before shipping then you can match it up if you take the return.The buyer may have switched glass or dropped it.No way that happen inside a box well protected even if it was roughly handled during shipping.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back