Dandelions

darin3200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
friedrichsphotography.com
Intent: To show how the large amount of dandelions in a field in a more artistic way. To also show how even though many have been 'destroyed' many more remain to take their place. I like the depth of field but I'm not sure about the blurring near the bottom, but cropping it out seems to make the picture more shallow and hurts the intent.

Equip: Praktica MTL-3, Lense: Pentacon 50mm f/1.8, Kodak C-41 B&W, Shutter speed: 500, f/2.8
OTE (okay-to-edit) :)

dandelions.jpg

The blur towards the bottom really does distract the viewer away from the focus and intent of the photo. I also feel there is a little too much white space towards the top and wonder what would happen if it was more panoramic in style to eliminite some white space and the blur..... The DOF works well, and B&W was a nice attempt, but for me there isn't quite enough contrast.

This last version is definitely my favorite of the bunch! The focus is on the field of dandelion without any distractions. Very nice.

The last one is probably in my opinion the better of the bunch but either way, making something like this in black and white, where dandelions are such evil plants to begin with...

I'll be different and say I totally love the first one. Wouldn't change a thing. The soft blur on the bottom mirrors the soft white on the top, and the stark stems appear to just be floating in the image - totally surreal and lovely. :)

Okay, maybe a tad more contast - but not as much as you did for the second one there. To me, the original image is about light and air; it should stay soft and feathery, just like it was on top, bottom and sides. The crop and the harsh contrast smashes it all. ugh! I'd ditch it and stick to your original vision. ;)

One of the nicest things I've seen from you; great perspective, too! :thumbup:

darin3200 said:

If I didn't already see the original picture from 1st post, I would not have liked this at all. Don't succumb to all suggestions and take another look at the first picture. To me the white part in the upper area and the unfocused part in the lower area is brilliant. Whether coincidental or not, the two areas make what the picture is: A brilliant shot.

The unfocused part takes the viewer's eye's focus off the focus of the picture; the Dandelions, and isen't that brilliant in it's own way?

Beautiful Shot

Ohio said:
If I didn't already see the original picture from 1st post, I would not have liked this at all. Don't succumb to all suggestions and take another look at the first picture. To me the white part in the upper area and the unfocused part in the lower area is brilliant. Whether coincidental or not, the two areas make what the picture is: A brilliant shot.

The unfocused part takes the viewer's eye's focus off the focus of the picture; the Dandelions, and isen't that brilliant in it's own way?

Beautiful Shot
Well I think it is important to look at other people's ideas as well to achieve different results. I think the crop does a better job looking at just the dandelions and how they interact, the original shows them in more context to their environment.

Thank you all for your comments, kind works and help! This is one of the shots I will be entering at our local fair this week, I decided to go with the original at 11x14 and it works nicely with the other two of the same size.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back