Day to day portraits

smithphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was recently contacted by a lady (18-20) wanting to have some day to day portraits done. Her ideas were shopping in the mall or a grocery store, bowling alley, car wash ect. Just her doing everyday things. Although many of these places pose issues such as lighting, there areother issues such as, can I even shoot in these locations without prior permission, how exactly to light someone well while they are walking through a florescent hell. Any ideas, suggestions, past experiences, all would be great to hear.

I don't think many places would have much of a problem if you asked management beforehand if you could do a quick shoot. I don't know but i think in the USA shopping malls are really touchy with photography?..

As for lighting, i actually think it would be pretty good.. Are you using flash? if so do you use gels?..

The only thing is this sounds like a big commitment? Is she wanting photos done over several days/weeks or just a few done in different day to day 'events' over one or two days?

white balance and a flash that will take over the fluorescent. my camera has a mode that will change the color of whatever the flash hits under white balance. but it does it differently to make it look like its natural light.

This is actually just going to be a one day shoot. A few locations and a few wardrobe changes should do the trick. I don't really have a good shoe mount flash at the moment. I havn't been able to afford one lately and my speedlite capacitor went out and when it did it fried the rest of it..... ouch. but I do have a nice light weight portable power supply and a small 410w flash kit. I was really considering just softboxing a 150watt and using that. More portable than you would think... and I do have a set of standard jells, snoots, combs, all that jazz.

Most reactions

Back