Deal or no deal?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ptyler22, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Ptyler22

Ptyler22 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been looking for an SLR for a whle now and I think I found a keeper finally!!! YAAAA. But first is this a good deal? Olympus Evolt E-420, with 14-42mm kit lens and an epson photoprinter with a $100 which makes it free. The price is $524 you can get a 40-150mm lens with the camera and 14-42mm for only 100 more so it is $624. I don't quite have $624 but i might be able to squeeze it out of my parents. I'm not sure if you can get the printer with the 40-150 but I am going to try. How good a deal is this? should I go for it?
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=205983

2. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well
    How bad do you need the photoprinter? I dont think its worth it. I would try to find one without one and save the money. I really dislike those little printers. With the cost of paper and ink i find it both easier and cheaper to get my prints done at CVS.

3. Ptyler22

Ptyler22 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You don't have to pay for the printer. It is $524 with or without the printer. There is a $100 mail in rebate so when you send that in that is the cost of the printer. You still think I should find a better deal?

4. PhotoDonkey

PhotoDonkey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They're bundling the printer. Do a web search and see what turns up. You might find something cheaper sans printer.

5. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If your really concerned about price just get a D40

You will love it!

6. elemental

elemental TPF Noob!

As far as the price, it seems pretty good. My only question is are you considering this because it's a great deal on the camera you want or are you considering it because it's the cheapest DSLR you can find?

If you're interested because of the price, you should know that there are quite a few entry-level DSLRs at or near that price point, particularly the models that are just being replaced this year (Nikon D40, Pentax K100D, etc.). The E-420 is a somewhat specific camera: It's the smallest DSLR on the market, which means you gain portability at the cost of ergonomics. I would definitel hold it before I bought it. It also has a 2X crop factor and uses the 4/3 system, which are either a plus or a minus depending on what you're shooting.

If you haven't done your homework, two of my favorite review sites are http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.dcresource.com. If price is a big issue would at least check out the Nikon D40, Pentax K100D, Canon Digital Rebel XT (which can be had for $450 with a kit lens at B&H).

If you've already done your research and really want the E-420, please ignore all of this.

7. Ptyler22

Ptyler22 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been researching mostly the E420 and the D40, D40x, and d60. I want the E420 because of the 10 mega pixels for big pictures that I can crop and 3.5 fps. Is the 2x crop factor a bad thing? and what is the 4/3 system?
    thanks

8. Rogan

Rogan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the 2x crop factor is a good and bad thing, its bad if you want wide angle lenses, its a good thing if you want long zoom lenses

and the 4/3 system if i'm right, put the picture in the ratio 4:3

9. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

That's right, Rogan. That aspect ratio was derived from vacuum image-sensing video camera tubes, which are now obsolete. The images/sensors of/in most compact cameras today are the same aspect ratio (not the same size!).

[​IMG]

10. lockwood81

lockwood81 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Since they are throwing the printer in, the $ 524 is a good deal on the camera.

You should try holding if first though, it is a small dSLR.

11. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The television aspect ratio of 4:3 was itself copied from the original 35 mm motion picture aspect ratio - it wasn't an inherent property of tubes. The first video recordings (1928) and television broadcasts (in 1932) were actually made in a portrait format, not the later 4:3 landscape format.

Best,
    Helen

12. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's the wonderful thing about standards. We have so many to pick from!