Tighearnach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I would really appreciate some advice on whether this is a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-CANON-EOS-40...6241865QQihZ006QQcategoryZ31388QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone know whether these filters are any good and also what about the memory cards.

The total price including delivery is gonna cost 1200euros. If you are in the states and think that is way too expensive take into account how weak the dollar to euro is at the moment. Things in europe generally cost the same as in the states i.e this would be 1200US in the states and not 1600.

Any help greatly appreciated

T

The more crap they throw in with it, the more they try to make it look like a good deal. I would think that tripod would be a liability not an asset, and when they start throwing in wallets I get really suspicious about the value. Now, I don't really know about the 400D and what typical prices are, so maybe it's a good deal anyway, but the way I figure if they sell all of that for that price you could probably get what you need (ie. the body) for quite a bit less. Then you can get only what you need in terms of accessories (ie. better lens) and make sure you get good stuff rather than the cheapest stuff that sounds like a lot to try to justify the price. Sort of like those steak knives they sell on TV, if they're selling not one, not two, not three but FOUR steak knives *plus* the bonus potato peeler all for 19.99, chances are you'd be better off buying one at a store.

Dave

I don't have comparable prices in mind for the camera itself. I don't like all these no-name peripherals to fatten up the offer. The filters are no-brand, do you really need a hard-case? The LowePro pack is ok (though more of a computer bag) and the CF cards are no-name as well. The tripod is obviously flimsy crap as well. And why an extra charger? The camera comes with one...

I don't know, the whole thing just seems lame.

400D + 28-135 lens + lowepro backpack, how much are they gonna cost you if you just buy them separately ? If it's more than 1200 euros, then you can consider the packet, you can see the rest as a bonus.
But, if it's less than 1200, I would not buy it. Why?
Because you'll end up buying better filters, more reliable memory card and sturdier tripod all over again.

Sorry but that's what I thought.

My instinct tells me no but if I were you I would make a list of the items and then go to amazon.com to compare prices.

It looks like the memory cards are slow. Bits like the card wallet are just nonsense. You should be given a charger with the camera so why another one? Card reader is so so.

Naa, check the price in the US and take a weekend break to NY.

My instinct tells me no but if I were you I would make a list of the items and then go to amazon.com to compare prices.

It looks like the memory cards are slow. Bits like the card wallet are just nonsense. You should be given a charger with the camera so why another one? Card reader is so so.

Naa, check the price in the US and take a weekend break to NY.

Check out B&HPhoto for prices as well. If you decide to go to NYC, they are there. I'll take a bet you can find a better deal (in terms of quality extras) than what's on offer with the link provided. Bait & switch comes to mind.

it's a bunch of junk. Guy I know got a similar package....and most of the stuff they throw in is just garbage with lots of big numbers on it.

Yeah Kundalini I was in B+H one time and felt it was full of ignorant pigs with funny hats and strange hair fashion speaking some kind of hybrid German. "es nicht geht" So now I'm an Adorama/Amazon monkey and will only spend money with B+H if the other options don't favour me as well.

There's a lot to be said for service with a smile instead of treated like an inferior human that they have to tolerate. - Just my experience.

Yeah Kundalini I was in B+H one time and felt it was full of ignorant pigs with funny hats and strange hair fashion speaking some kind of hybrid German. "es nicht geht"

Yikes...don't get out much, do you?

I'll admit I've had varying success with service at B&H, but my experiences at places like Adorama haven't been much different (and they're the same religion, same hair style and speaking the same language there although that has nothing to do with the service...)

Dave

Yeah Kundalini I was in B+H one time and felt it was full of ignorant pigs with funny hats and strange hair fashion speaking some kind of hybrid German. "es nicht geht" So now I'm an Adorama/Amazon monkey and will only spend money with B+H if the other options don't favour me as well.

There's a lot to be said for service with a smile instead of treated like an inferior human that they have to tolerate. - Just my experience.

Sorry dude, but over the last few months I have spent $$$$$$$$ (does that translate to too much money, I just paid off my credit card and ffs it was a pretty penny).

I have had only one issue with B&H and when I called them about it, it was instantly handled to my benefit. The only issue was that the exchange of a defective item took about a week to come full term.

If you've been there in person, you are well ahead of me. My dealings have only been over the internet and via the phone. Every time I call to ask questions if I'm ordering the right thing(s), the sales staff have been nothing but helpful. And there have been several times that I have been (this ones for you nossie....[$h1+ scared] to be spending as much money as I have ordered from them. Nothing but good service for me. Perhaps you need to tone it down a bit. (Can't remember at the moment, but you're from Ireland, Scotland, but from the North nonetheless. I know your bunch.) heeheehee.

More to say to you about recent comments. I think we have a grand understanding about human behaviour. At least as in the difference the "pond" offers.

I have had only one issue with B&H and when I called them about it, it was instantly handled to my benefit. The only issue was that the exchange of a defective item took about a week to come full term.

...My dealings have only been over the internet and via the phone. Every time I call to ask questions if I'm ordering the right thing(s), the sales staff have been nothing but helpful...

Hi.
I have no concerns about them not coming through on the order. I'll probably spend $2000 with them in the next weeks on lights because I can't get them anywhere else at that price. I'm sure they'll be 100% good. They have my fullest confidence but here's the kicker...

The sales men (in NYC at least) are really really really nice because they have to be. Do you want to buy from a rude salesman? When you go to the payment counter the cashier won't even look at you. If you have to return something, in my case they ask the problem and then ignore you until they have completed everything leaving you standing there wondering if you just turned invisible. If you meet the same salesman outside the store he won't even look at you, I was there before the store opened and wanted to ask the guy when the store was going to open and guess what, he wouldn't even look at me until I was inside with an intent to spend money.

On the other hand working with Adorama over the phone and Internet gave me the impression of a very professional and curteous group of people at all stages. I found there was a lack of attitude. However I have not been to their store.

If you still have concerns about spending money on the Internet then talk to your Credit Card company/bank to see what insurance they offer.

Most reactions

Back