debating between Nikon d70 and d80

jhbates

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi folks- I was thinking that I wanted a nikon d80, because of the 10.2 megapixels. My wife is saying that the D70S with 6.1 megapixel will do the same thing. I am wanting to take action pictures of kids doing gymnastics meets. I intend to blow up some pictures to be the size of posters (20x24 or so). Will the D70S perform the same with the lower megapixels as the D80?

I own both, although the D70 is not one of the newer s models. Both give excellent results and the difference between 6 and 10 mp is really not that great. I've not had a lot of experience with te D80 yet (same goes for the D200) but my impressions so far are the D80 is much closer to the D200 in it's features. The autofucus works really much better than the D70. The viewfinder is a gem compared to my D70. I find the programable function button very useful. The D80 fits my hand a little better than the D70. (The D200 with battery grip is huge in comparison, very similar to my F4). If the D70s is the same size as the older model then it's a very comfortable camera to use. The build quality on these Nikons is exceptional. The D80 has more choices in it's custom menue, but I find the 'in camera' image fixes a bit gimmicky for my taste.

the d80 as a bodie may be better, but twith the considerable price diferance you might aswell get a better lense, and then upgrade your bodie, i shoot with some pro's and my d50 works just fine, but a 2.8 lense would be the diferance, with a dslr its the lense as much as the megapixels

Anyone with a D70s would really never upgrade to a D80. There just isn't enough difference. The only thing that the D80 has that the D70 doesn't that could affect me is the AF-S/C switch by the shutter.

kemplefan said:
i ment to an even higher cammera like a d200 (i want one) or baby a fujie as they use f mount lenses

The D200 is a totally different kettle of fish and significantly more expensive. You could get a really nice lens for the price difference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back