Debating buying a D7100... HELP!

jackehboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all!
I have been shooting off and on for a little over two years. I own a D3000 that was a gift to me for Christmas a few years ago with a few lenses.
10-20mm UWA Sigma
55-200 from nikon
50mm 1.8g nikon
85mm 3.5 (Wish I didnt get talked into this one and bought a 1.8)
15-55mm kit lens.

I have shot a few friends weddings (Younger friends, no money for a big photographer so they just wanted the best they could afford and didnt really care about HOW good they were.) Of course I tried my best! Ha! Iv done a few senior pictures too, then all around just randomly shooting whatever seems good at the time!

As you know Tax season is approaching and I havent really ever bought myself anything with it. (I doubt i get the full amount I want back but anyways ) I am playing with the idea of buying a friends D7100 off of him. It has been taken care of perfectly as he is a die hard photographer, he just wants to go back to Cannon BOO! :p
Anyways, the deal would be the following: $900
Nikon D7100 - Body, Battery, Grip ($50 dollar grip) All the paper work, warrenty, lens cleaning kits. 35mm 1.8g lens (like new), charging cords and parts for all the above obv. I would get the original boxes as well for all. He is also willing to throw in a nikon lens carry bag ( not sure how big or the value)

Now here is a few questions.
1. I am shooting a friends wedding for $300 in march, which knocks the price down to 600 out of my pocket. I potentially have another wedding or call it a photoshoot as its just a ceremony they want pictures of! I am not sure how much that would be bringing in... I can also POSSIBLY sell my D3000 camera body. I have a few friends interested in photography, but giving up one of my lenses would be hard and i have no clue what I would tell them price wise. Plus like I had said earlier, tax season so hopefully I will get some money back soon!

2. I am still a bit of a noob when it comes to photography. I am SLOWLY getting away from presets and started to mess with Aperture mode, but still have tons to work on. So I am not sure if the D7100 is a good decision since im still learning everything still?

3. Its an obvious upgrade, that will pay for itself eventually. But I am just not sure if its a good deal on my part or if I am ready to take that step or should be upgrading! Plus I am in the awkward growing up phase where I need to seriously look at buying a house, but I want a mustang, but I want toys.... Usually I put away all of my check from my full time job... So rarely ever do I buy myself anything.

4. Would you keep the D3000 if I was to buy the D7100? Maybe as aback up for a wedding in the future? Or so I can swap between lenses for a shot I need quick durning a photoshoot?

Thank you for your time if you took the time to read my huge wall of text and I look forward to a few replys I hope! :) Please feel free to give me as much information as possible!

You will LOVE the D7100, had this camera for over a year and its just a dream camera.
900$ even with the 35mm is a bit to much, I sold my D7100 with 26K clicks and near mint condition in a MUCH low price (body only with all accessories).
With lens if you can do 750$ then it would be a reasonable deal.

Good luck.

Hmmm.... Everywhere I have looked has had the D7100s for about 700-800 used.. I will maybe do some talking down! :)

Hmmm.... Everywhere I have looked has had the D7100s for about 700-800 used.. I will maybe do some talking down! :)
D7100 is still in my eyes the best crop sensor camera for the money.
The 7D II is faster but when talking about IQ the D7100 is much better.
Yeah try to talk him down, mind you the D7100 should be replaced soon so factor that in.

Im really not worried about the warrenty.. Iv been friends with this guy for years. IF something was to go wrong he would send it in under his name :p

Wait at least a couple of weeks to see if Nikon rolls out a D7200 at the Japanese CP+ show in mid-February. D7100 prices will likely be falling if a successor arrives. D7000 prices are very low now, too. Buying new may just be possible.

Of course if you wait too long your friend just might sell his camera to somone else.

If your shooting a wedding I'd make sure to have a back up body incase the camera dies on you in the middle of her big day !! You'll need some major gear updates lenses etc. if planning on being a wedding photographer.

Last edited:
OP has already shot weddings without extra body or upgraded lenses

Wait for the D7200 if you like to correct the under exposed areas in photo`s, I do and have seen the horizontal banding problem, download a few D7100 raw samples yourself and see if it affects you.

I have had the D7100 and it takes beautiful photo 99.9% of the time, take advantage of the price drop when the D7200 comes out.

John.

the advice is good.
p.s. you're not ready to shoot weddings yet.

If your shooting a wedding I'd make sure to have a back up body incase the camera dies on you in the middle of her big day !! You'll need some major gear updates lenses etc. if planning on being a wedding photographer.

This may be sound advice, and you can disagree with my statement but the OP states they have already shot weddings with current gear.

I use it for weddings, portraits and nature. Great camera except for low light. Hunts too much... I am ready for a full frame but am holding out. Buy good glass... I will say it again. Buy good glass. It will make your images...

Most reactions

Back