Decent camera/lense for Alaskan terrain/ mountains

akpolarbears

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everybody;

I've lived in Alaska for 15 years and I'm looking to buy a decent camera for my hunting adventures. My friend and I go hunting all the time; For sheep in the mountains, in forests for caribou, on islands in the ocean, lots of absolutely gorgeous places. I recently got a new iPhone which I took some pictures on, after later reviewing the pictures I realized how amazing it is to be able to have photographic memories of the places I get to go. My phone has a pretty decent camera, but I'd like something better.

I'll mostly be taking pictures of farther off stuff like valleys and mountains. Also, something that can survive lower temperatures.. say -10F (or -23 C) to be safe. It shouldn't be too big, smaller than a DSLR so I can carry it in a pouch on my hip.

I don't need a fancy $500 DSLR camera, I'm looking to spend $200-300 tops. I'm not looking to be a super photographer or anything, just have some nice pictures to make me smile. I'm considering an Olympus PEN E-PM1, thoughts?

Here's a sample picture or two of what sort of stuff Ill be photographing. Me, my friend and his dog on a sheep hunting trip. We hiked into the mountains 18 miles :mrgreen:

$image_2.jpeg$imdage.jpeg$image_1.jpeg

Hi

Those are some nice shots with the iphone. Any decision you make is going to involve compromise so you need to decide what's important to you. What shortcomings of the iphone do you think will be addressed with a new camera? Do you feel you need more zoom, more control over your settings, etc? I don't know that much about the Olympus other than it's a ILC that usually comes with a 14-42mm lens (28-84 equiv). If you need more zoom then you need to spend a couple hundred more for a longer lens and you might be better served with a dslr. There are times when 3/4 of the weight in my pack is camera stuff, and there are times when I'm out backpacking or hunting, and photography is secondary, where I only bring a point and shoot. I picked up a Fujifilm waterproof, dropproof, and freezeproof for under $150 on clearance which I use for rafting and camping so I don't have to worry about water spray or the elements. I could also carry it in a shirt pocket where it's easy to grab. Maybe you'll be better served with something like that. Again, you have to decide what your needs are and what you're willing to compromise on. Hope this helps.

Hi akpolarbears - I would spend an extra $49 and get a $349 Canon EOS M with the 22mm f2 lens. It has the sensor size of a DSLR and the size of a pocket camera.

Here's the image quality you can get from this camera/lens combination: Flickr: The Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Pool

If you don't want to spend $350, I recommend the $315 Samsung NX1000 with a 20-50mm lens and built-in wi-fi. Same large sensor as the Canon, with a slower lens, but a little better resolution.

Here is what this camera can do: Flickr: The Samsung NX1000 Pool

I own several micro 4/3 cameras (same sensor size as the Olympus PEN E-PM1), because their video features outweigh the disadvantages of the small sensor - but I would personally not buy a Panasonic Lumix or Olympus PEN micro 4/3 camera just for stills. Especially when I can get a DSLR-sized sensor in a pocket sized form factor for a similar price.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Fancy DSLR for 500$ :mrgreen: you are funny, for 500$ you can only get the most basic DLSR in the market and while they actually are very capable cameras I dont think fancy is the right term to call them.

A bridge camera is probably what you want, they will produce good pictures and give you good zoom as long as there is good lighting conditions.
If you are planing to take pictures in low light situations then most bridge cameras will not give you same quality picture as a DSLR or a good Mirrorless camera.

First of all,
Is your current camera you use offer a field of view wide enough for you? (shorter the focal length, wider the view)
Do you need a camera that able to "zoom" in more for you? (longer focal length = greater "magnification")

So I will take a look at the camera focal length range and see if it can offer you the views you like. For me personally, if I going to pick a all around camera, I'd like to have a camera that covers focal length between low 20mm to around 150mm (35mm equivalent).

Secondly, do you like to swap lenses? If yes, mirrorless camera could be a good choice. If not, you may want to stay with regular point and shoot type camera. Swapping lens in -10F condition MAY not be ideal (it depends of course). Also, are you looking for camera that has WiFi build-in? More and more people are interested in photos sharing. Would it be a feature you are looking for?

Size of the camera, do you need one you can put in your shirt pocket? if not, how big is too big for you? Do you need a camera that is capable of using an external flash? An external flash is helpful since it has more power and most of them allow you to bounce the light indoor to achieve a softer light look.

Is Video important? Does it need to take HD video?

Thanks for all of your replies!

To try and answer a few of your questions:
I think the most important element I could use is more zoom. Photography will definitely be secondary, how nice are the pictures from your waterproof fujifilm?

I definitely wont be carrying 2 lenses with me, not for awhile at least. I think most of my photos will probably be taken in high light conditions, I'll have to check out some bridge cameras as well. As far as wifi and things like that, totally unnecessary. Also, I may be taking some video (my friend and I like to film the other taking the animal in question) but stills are my primary focus, probably don't need HD video. Size isn't a huge concern, but a full sized DSLR may be a little big.

I was considering a point and shoot for their affordability but at some point down the road I see myself getting more than one lens, just not for awhile.

And I'm not to worried about settings or features, I've used a friends DSLR before, I just stuck the thing on auto :p

Thanks for all of your replies!

To try and answer a few of your questions:
I think the most important element I could use is more zoom. Photography will definitely be secondary, how nice are the pictures from your waterproof fujifilm?

I definitely wont be carrying 2 lenses with me, not for awhile at least. I think most of my photos will probably be taken in high light conditions, I'll have to check out some bridge cameras as well. As far as wifi and things like that, totally unnecessary. Also, I may be taking some video (my friend and I like to film the other taking the animal in question) but stills are my primary focus, probably don't need HD video. Size isn't a huge concern, but a full sized DSLR may be a little big.

I was considering a point and shoot for their affordability but at some point down the road I see myself getting more than one lens, just not for awhile.

And I'm not to worried about settings or features, I've used a friends DSLR before, I just stuck the thing on auto :p

Yep, thats what I said, for what you say you need and the price range you want to spend a bridge camera is what you probably need.

Given your price point, I'd go with something like the Panasonic LZ30K for a bridge camera. For something you can interchange lenses with, For a mirrorless (CSC), I'd go with something like an Olympus PEN E-PM-1.

Where about in Alaska are you? I'm in Soldotna...

I've only used the Fujifilm a couple of times but so far it takes pretty decent pictures. The image quality is not quite as good as my Canon powershot (my other camera when I don't want to carry a camera) and not even in the same ballpark of my DSLR's, but it is for when the elements are a factor. Also, low light is pretty bad, but I think most P&S's suffer there.The zoom on it is about a 150mm eqiv. A bridge camera would give you the reach you want, especially since you said a midsize doesn't bother you. I would do some research first on those based on how the lens extend and retracts and the effect of moisture or frost being pulled into the camera or seizing the mechanism.

Most reactions

Back