Decent Cheap Lens for Canon xti?

tafkam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I am getting my first SLR and have decided on the Canon Rebel xti, but my question is, do I get it with the kit lens or go ahead and get the body only with a better lens now?
From what I can gather the body only would save me about 80 bucks, and if possible perhaps I could spend another 100 to 150 bucks for a better all around lens.
Any suggestions? The only thing I have found so far is a Sigma that is on sale at J/R for $140. Here is the url for that....
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.pro...71&JRSource=googlebase.datafeed.SGA+CA18-50MM
I am just starting out so I want a good general purpose lens for the camera, I am sure the kit lens is ok and if so please tell me, but I have read reviews that say the one with the kit is rather cheap. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on the thing but I may as well not get the kit lens if I am eventually going to upgrade anyway, that is the way I am looking at it.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Mike G
Dayton, OH

$100-150 isn't going to get you a nice all-around lens that is much (if any) better than the 18-55 kit lens that comes with the XTi.

The XTi's 18-55 lens is well worth the money (and savings) for a beginner. Start with the Canon 18-55 kit, and save at least $400 to drop on an upgrade.

Just get the 18-55 kit lens. Yeah they're cheaply built, but so are a lot of lenses these days so don't let that steer you away. The kit lenses are actually capable of making very nice photos and are the perfect thing to learn on while you're developing a shooting style and learning before you go dropping a lot more money on other stuff.

Thank you for the replies, I really do appreciate it!

Will go for the camera and lens then and down the road will look for advise on a better all around lens.

Thanks again
Mike G

Just a thought you may want to keep stuck somewhere in the back of your brain.

A "Decent Cheap Lens for Canon xti"

will likely give you

A "Decent Cheap Result for Canon xti"

Of all your future purchases for this fantastic hobby, spend the bulk of your investment towards quality lens(es). But first, figure out what your needs are, then get the lens to suit that need.

Agree with others that Kit lens is fine for beginners if budget is tight. Once you know more about your camera, you can get some new lenses. As everyone said, 50mm f1.8 is the best lens you can get for your camera for under $100. Street price is around $80.

Another vote for the Nifty Fifty!! (plus the kit lense)

I would just get the better lense with the camera. The way I look at it is that if you are worried about whether or not the hobby is for you, if you have the best lense you can afford or research and plan what exactly you are going to use the camera for and what you want to photograph, then choosing the lense that will better enable you to accomplish these shots is what will make the hobby enjoyable. If the kit lense does not allow you to produce the shots you want, there will be no enjoyment in the hobby. However, having the proper equipment is what will make the hobby much more enjoyable.

yea i am in the same dilemma as you are. I am also getting the xti but having a problem of whether to get the kit lens or not. I have done some research and found thatCanon EF 28-105 F/3.5-4.5 II USM has had good reviews as a "general purpose" lens. You can check it out here http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=206&sort=7&cat=27&page=1

idk if im allowed to link other forums, but here you can check out pics taken with the 28-105mm. I have to say the pics are quite nice http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=248576

In addition to that, I would suggest you get the 50mm 1.8. It's practically a must have for everyone. To sum up, it is up to you. For me, I would get the 28-105mm because it is a step up from the kit lens and it will most likely keep you satisfied in the long run, rather than wasting money on a kit lens.

The 28-105 is a good lens for the money (I just bought one today for a beater lens - I bought it once, sold it, and am now buying it back from the person I sold it to! :))

HOWEVER, it sucks as a walkaround lens. Not near wide enough.

If you are thinking the 28-105 I would spend a bit more and get the 28-135 IS. Similar focal length and it has IS, which is gerat because these lenses are a bit slow.

I have the 28-135 IS, and use it quite a bit, but I do find myself going to a wider lense around town.

XTi with kit 18-55 will only cost you additional $80-$100. Pretty good for that lens.

Only other lens anywhere near that price is the 50mm f/1.8 which is about $90.

The kit lens is a complete piece of garbage (when compared to a lens 15x's the cost) and will give you crappy results (when compared to a lens 15x's the cost) and will really dissapoint you (after you've used a lens 15x's the cost) and you shouldn't even think about buying one (if you have the money for a lens 15x's the cost).

Seriously, it's a decent lens to start with. Sharpening can be acheived in camera or afterwards. There's some L quality lenses that are about the same in IQ if you get a bad copy. Most people telling you it suck probably have a lens or lenses that cost 5-15 times the cost of the kit lens. Yes, it probably really does suck that bad IQ and build quality wise in comparison, but you're never going to notice until you buy a quality lens to replace it with.

And do buy the 50mm f/1.8. It's uber cheap and has good IQ when stopped down, as mentioned above. It's a great great great starter lens and a very good companion to the 18-55 kit.

Most reactions

Back