Decisions.

cherrymoose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My grandma is visiting, and in the mail today came the Pentax K1000 manual SLR camera I bought of Ebay recently. It didn't come with a manual, but I was able to pretty much figure out the basics. Anyways, I was testing it out, and my grandma randomly started babbling on about her supposed Nikon SLR camera she has at home. This was very surprising, seeing as she normally has no knowledge in technology at all. She told me that about 10 years ago, she wanted to get in to photography, so bought a Nikon and multiple lenses. She never ended up pursuing this interest, and only used the camera a couple of times. The Pentax I bought was $70.00 (it came with a case, the lens, a Macro lens, and a flash), but today my grandma told me she would give me the Nikon and all of it's equipment for a "small fee". I don't know what kind it is, and who knows if it even works (she really doesn't know much about cameras), but this seems like it might be a better deal. So, should I sell the 'new' Pentax and hope for the Nikon, or should I just keep the Pentax?

Assuming you keep the Pentax and buy the Nikon, that will make 3 new cameras that you've gotten since joining this forum. :lol:

I wouldn't worry about making the decision just yet. Until you get the chance to run a roll of film through the Nikon to test all shutter speeds, etc., you don't really know what you're being offered. Right now, I'd hang on to that K1000 - sounds like it's in good shape and they never go out of style. If your Grandma is willing to send you her system and let you try it before you buy it, you have nothing to lose. And like Chase said, you may end up wanting to keep both!

Good luck with it! :D

I'd suggest keeping both. The K1000's are well loved by people and are fun to shoot with. I bet you'd enjoy both of them :D

Haha, I don't know what my mom will say about that. But thanks.

Assuming you keep the Pentax and buy the Nikon, that will make 3 new cameras that you've gotten since joining this forum. :lol:

:p You guys have addicted me. And before this, I was the one who thought that having two cameras was pointless.... psh. :er:

I wouldn't worry about making the decision just yet. Until you get the chance to run a roll of film through the Nikon to test all shutter speeds, etc., you don't really know what you're being offered. Right now, I'd hang on to that K1000 - sounds like it's in good shape and they never go out of style. If your Grandma is willing to send you her system and let you try it before you buy it, you have nothing to lose. And like Chase said, you may end up wanting to keep both!

Good luck with it! :D

The thing is, I've never worked with an SLR before today and still have no idea what all those little numbers on the lenses are. :blushing:
But yeah, that sounds reasonable. I won't be able to see it until spring break, so for now I guess I'll just keep the Pentax and wait and see. Since it's already a used camera, I suppose it doesn't matter much if I use it more before (possibly) selling it. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Any plans for later on? Maybe a digital SLR far off in the future? I think you should take into account any future decisions you are likely to make; as the lenses you use now can be used later.

Anyhow, Pentax or Nikon, enjoy your new SLR and get some great pictures!

SLRs are sweet. I have a soft spot for the K1000, since it was my first serious camera.

The cool thing about it is that it reminds you that you don't need anything complex to take great pictures. Also being fully mechanical is an advantage more often than not.

Have you taken any photo classes yet? Boy, if you do, you're going to go out of your mind with joy when you hit the darkroom. Developing film and printing images in a darkroom is a LOT more fun than doing it digitally. It's more involving; you feel like you're really doing something, and not just doing it virtually. Also, the results can be stunning.

Wow, I forgot about this thread.

Any plans for later on? Maybe a digital SLR far off in the future? I think you should take into account any future decisions you are likely to make; as the lenses you use now can be used later.

Possibly, I hope. Considering I just acquired my most recent digital about two months ago, I doubt I'd be allowed to get another for some time. Oh yeah, and, I'm broke. :er:
So film SLR lenses can also be used on digitals? Ooh, cool.

SLRs are sweet. I have a soft spot for the K1000, since it was my first serious camera.

The cool thing about it is that it reminds you that you don't need anything complex to take great pictures. Also being fully mechanical is an advantage more often than not.

Have you taken any photo classes yet? Boy, if you do, you're going to go out of your mind with joy when you hit the darkroom. Developing film and printing images in a darkroom is a LOT more fun than doing it digitally. It's more involving; you feel like you're really doing something, and not just doing it virtually. Also, the results can be stunning.

You're not the only person I've heard say it's great. I hope it is, once (and if?) I start using it.
No, sadly, I haven't taken any classes yet. I want to, but my mom says I should wait until I investigate the Nikon and make a decision. There's a couple more weeks until spring break, so I have a while until I get to see the Nikon. But yeah-- I've always wanted to try some darkroom stuff. It sounds fun, and that's one of the main reasons I wanted a film camera. :thumbup:

save up some money quick, or ask your grandma to put it on hold til you get money so you can have both cameras

Remind your grandma that you're her favourite granddaughter and that she should give you the Nikon for free as she hasn't used it herself for 10 years. :)

From what you said, I take it that your grandma lives some distance away (seeing as she is visiting), so perhaps you offer to pay the shipping? I personally think it is invaluable to shoot on an SLR prior to a DSLR. If you can deal with a smaller lab who is willing to share some tips and hints to you that would be just as beneficial as a class at this point of the learning curve if you wanted my opinion.
I was fortunate enough to have a couple who ran the local photo store and when I got some film back, I would be so proud - until they brought out the printed images without their tweeking! That was a humbling experience at 12 to say the least.
Now I am about 20% back to shooting film - once again a humbling experience, oh how I miss RAW ;).

Anyways, back to the camera, three never hurt anyone

Most reactions

Back