definately a beginner

In Canonesse Tv stand for Time Value and Av stands for Aperture Value. I shoot a lot of sports and would recommend that you try Aperture priority once. Set the aperture for the dof you want. Shallow dof is usually the best as the bokeh it will produce really highlights the action and adjust the shutter speed with your ISO. It can really make the action pop in a photo.

Very good point. I tend to like shallow DOF in the vast majority of my shots recently. And usually a fast shutter speed goes hand in hand with a wide aperture anyway so shooting in Av should work pretty good, just bump the ISO till you have sufficient shutter speeds.

Wow, oops! I just noticed that I typed my last response in this thread, forgot to press "submit" then I went out to celebrate The Mexican victory against the French, and didn't post till I got back a few hours later! Ha.

Very good point. I tend to like shallow DOF in the vast majority of my shots recently. And usually a fast shutter speed goes hand in hand with a wide aperture anyway so shooting in Av should work pretty good, just bump the ISO till you have sufficient shutter speeds.

Wow, oops! I just noticed that I typed my last response in this thread, forgot to press "submit" then I went out to celebrate The Mexican victory against the French, and didn't post till I got back a few hours later! Ha.

Okay i've been playing with my camera today and I have really learned a lot by using the A(aperture) and S(shutter) modes. The A mode does tend to work very nice for most shots....i just needed to learn which way to adjust. What would you set your camera to for a bridal shoot...would you use A priority for that as well you think?

Okay i've been playing with my camera today and I have really learned a lot by using the A(aperture) and S(shutter) modes. The A mode does tend to work very nice for most shots....i just needed to learn which way to adjust. What would you set your camera to for a bridal shoot...would you use A priority for that as well you think?

I would use aperture priority, and a wide aperture(smaller number), to get a nice out of focus background. One caution is that when you have bright white dresses and black tuxes, it can confuse the meter and get the exposure a little wrong. So look up "exposure compensation" in your manual.

Why don't you post some of those "stinky" shots so you may get some more suggestions to improve them.

hopeswedding022.jpg

dark room snap shot, 18-55mm lense, P mode, 400 ISO, why the dark shadow and dark image?

well the shadow, just cuz its a shadow, u cant do a magic trick and make the shadow look the same as a lit part of the same object,

dark image could be acouple of things...

maybe your flash didnt reach far enough

or maybe your camera juse messed up on that part and you need to brighten it up a lil in photoshop or make adjustments on ur camera... canon has exposure compensation, u can over and under expose a picture...in ur case, to the right on exp comp to make the exposure a little longer...

It could be other things...just my 2 cents..

As a fellow D80 owner and beginner, I suggest you try using Manual mode more, and you should also learn how to use other things like spot metering, bracketing, EV compensation etc. After you have the got an idea of the basics, you'll see what you need. No need to get into shopping mode if you don't REALLY understand what it is you are lacking.

hum ... by looking at the area around the door. The shadow seemed to be created by the flash. And that mean the flash should be good enough. But why there was a shadow?

Was the flash blocked by something? The camera strap??

This is wierd. Almost like half the flash didn't fire. It should have reflected off both eyes. Did a curtain sway right when you shot it?

Could be as simple as the dark side is underexposed because the lighting changed right when you shot it. If you were compensating flash at all and half the light changed this could happen. I'm going to try to get this affect on purpose tonight and see if I can replicate it.

Something tells me if this person is a "noob" at photography, tossing in a SB600 before they get the "basics" down is going to be disastrous.

PAHA.

Its easy to use an external flash. ESPECIALLY for a noob. The minimum knowledge required to operate such a set up consists of 3 things:

1.) Turning the flash mode to TTL.
2.) Turning the camera mode to Full Auto.
3.) Pressing the shutter release.

Not so hard, is it?

Is your lens a big one? If so I would lean towards the lens causing that shadow of the shot.

Is your lens a big one? If so I would lean towards the lens causing that shadow of the shot.

Hum .. the original poster mentioned the kit lens 18-55mm and 55-200mm

If 55-200mm is used, it may be long enough to cast a shadow with the on-camera flash. if that is the case, a external flash may help.

nope...i posted under my picture what the circumstances were....i was using the 18-55 mm lense, which is a general snapshot lense, i have several other pics like that where there is a dark area on only the right side of the picture....it's not necessarily a shadow but something is going on...here's another one with same circumstances

hopeswedding040.jpg

As a fellow D80 owner and beginner, I suggest you try using Manual mode more, and you should also learn how to use other things like spot metering, bracketing, EV compensation etc. After you have the got an idea of the basics, you'll see what you need. No need to get into shopping mode if you don't REALLY understand what it is you are lacking.

yeah i understand the EV compensation, and I have to use it sometimes because my D80 tends to over or under expose sometimes, and spot metering I use when I want to put more blur in the background...i don't ever use bracketing, but I have read my manual and have a pretty good understanding of the camera and how it works....I think i'll have it down but then somthing like these weird pics happens, but I was in P mode on these, I've just recently started usingn A(aperture) mode more.

This is wierd. Almost like half the flash didn't fire. It should have reflected off both eyes. Did a curtain sway right when you shot it?

Could be as simple as the dark side is underexposed because the lighting changed right when you shot it. If you were compensating flash at all and half the light changed this could happen. I'm going to try to get this affect on purpose tonight and see if I can replicate it.

no lighting changed...and it's happened in other photos not in same place...weird huh?

Most reactions

Back