Depth of field 300mm/tinkered with aperture/edited photoshop

My book says that when shooting a zoom lens, lower the focal length and decrease the aperture and it will make a clearer depth of field. I am just beginner. So pardon me.

what about 300mm ?
EXIF has

Camera: Nikon D3200
Lens: 70 mm
(Max aperture f/4)
Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/80 sec, f/4.5, ISO 1600

Not sure I'm following. To clarify: You get greater depth of field (DoF), or more of the image in focus from foreground to background when: You use a shorter focal length lens (zoom or prime, it doesn't matter), and/or when the subject is farther from the camera, and/or when you use a smaller aperture (larger f#). Conversely, using a telephoto lens and/or large aperture (smaller f#) and/or place the subject nearer the camera, the area between the foreground and background in sharp focus will be less, or shallower.

Not sure I'm following. To clarify: You get greater depth of field (DoF), or more of the image in focus from foreground to background when: You use a shorter focal length lens (zoom or prime, it doesn't matter), and/or when the subject is farther from the camera, and/or when you use a smaller aperture (larger f#). Conversely, using a telephoto lens and/or large aperture (smaller f#) and/or place the subject nearer the camera, the area between the foreground and background in sharp focus will be less, or shallower.
something like that ... :)

I am trying to grasp it but it is getting there. The farther you are, the greater depth of field? The narrower the aperture, the greater the depth of field? Thanks to all by the way.

Sorry about that I know at least two of the four shots I made were manual. Just cannot find it.

and f/1.8 has a very shallow depth of field (depth of subject in focus)
a f/11 has a very large depth of field

here's a calculator ==> A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator

also your distance to the subject has affect

I really learned a lot about DOF when I bought a 50mm/1.8 lens THEN it was obvious. I then practiced taking pictures of a chain link fence at an angle at various apertures.

The post #1 photo has a yellowish color cast - likely because of the white balance setting.

The post 11 has a greenish cast, also likely because of the white balance setting.

Come cameras don't do auto white balance very well.

By the way:
Beginners forum - Moderator Notice

I thought this was more of a technical question
than a "C&C my photo"
but admins can make the call if they want to move it.

Most reactions

Back