Desperately Need Answers About my 35mm Film I Just Got Developed. Please Help.

ccarysjordann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok first off...

Camera Used: Minolta SRT 100X
Lens: MD 50mm Minolta
Film: Kodak "Kodacolour" 35mm 200asa 24exp

Today I took my 35mm roll to my local pharmacy to get developed. I've had my photos developed multiple times from there and they're always developed incredibly well, (compared to the other pharmacy in town that develops film). I chose to get it done in an hour like I always do (I'm always far too excited to see my photos).

Anyway, before leaving the store, I always check them, and I am always happy with them. Today I was completely heartbroken and devastated. Out of about 26 photos (there's always more than 24 on a 24exp roll) I had 9 that came out, the others were light damaged (I did not do this) and had black bars on them (that are not on the negatives). I know for a fact I had nothing to do with the light damage, it's not a lot of light damage, but the point is, it's still there. I'm always incredibly careful unwinding and handling my film.

The absolute most puzzling thing to me is what the negatives look like. There are multiple blanks, and in between, perfect photos, then more blanks. I know for a fact I was taking the photos correctly, like I always do, as I have never had blanks before. I also knew that the film was winding on (on the top of the Minolta there's a little wheel that goes around ONLY if the film is loaded correctly. This little wheel went round the whole time. I check every single time).

Here is a photo of the negatives

As you can see there are massive transparent blanks, and then in between, photos that came out perfectly. My dad (who has been using film for over 30 years, and definitely knows a thing or two) thinks it's a fault with the camera (even though this camera has never given me blanks before out of the stacks and stacks of photos I've taken with it that have always come out perfectly, again no blanks on the negatives) or me taking them wrong. I'm not saying I know everything, but I do know how to use a film camera, and this particular model has a light meter, which shows you if you're correctly exposing the photo. (Did a battery check today, the battery is fine). Plus, I haven't done anything differently to what I normally do when I use this camera. Nothing at all.

If anyone could please give me some answers as to why the hell this has happened, I would greatly appreciate it. I knew I took some great photos on here, and I'm absolutely devastated to lose them.

I know anything can happen, and these things do happen but, I really just don't know why. I've been using film for years now, this has never happened to me.

Thanks

Carys

There are definitely issues with your camera. First off, notice how where you do have exposures on the negative strip that there are different spaces between the exposures? In some cases they almost touch and in other cases they're separated by a fairly wide area. This indicates a problem with the film advance mechanism, most likely worn teeth on one or more of the gears in the advance mechanism. As for the large, unexposed areas, that's a little more of a mystery but it's almost certainly a camera issue. It almost looks like the shutter wasn't opening, but depending on the circumstances, it could be caused by a high shutter speed and/or small aperture. On the bright side, you can probably pick up a replacmenet body off of eBay for the change you'll find under your couch cushions.

That camera is similar to the old SRT-101 I had. I would shoot one more roll while waiting for another body to arrive, as noted these cameras are very inexpensive and easier to buy another than fix this one.

Of course you may want to take your old camera apart for fun and the last post in the this thread has the link to an SRT-101 service manual:
Minolta SRT 101 Problem - Photo.net Classic Manual Cameras Forum

Sorry you lost some of your pictures. I had something like this happen with a camera once. I thought it was most likely that the shutter wasn't releasing properly as it seemed to advance and move film through the camera but there were frames that were unexposed. (Your dad's probably right, it's most likely the camera and something is jamming or sticking or worn etc.)

If there were black bars through some of the photos but not in the negatives that makes me think it might have been the scans or somehow done in processing (and drugstores and discount stores in my area are the worst, I send my film out nowadays). Seems like if there was a light leak in the camera the leakiness would show up on the negs.

You could look into getting it repaired but I agree it probably wouldn't be worth the cost (unless the camera has some significance to you). If you wanted to try to trouble shoot or tinker with it yourself you could try looking up Rick Oleson's website for info. and his CD about repairing cameras. I have a set of two repair books by Tomosy but they're out of print and don't know offhand of any others (maybe try the library).

You could look at KEH or try Pacific Rim Camera and see if they have something similar to your camera that could be a replacement (along with the usual places people shop for used cameras). Or try Adorama and B&H, they both have used depts.

If you have more questions you might post in the Film section of the board, more people may see this that could offer suggestions.

Last edited:
I see 11 more-or-less decent exposures, and the remainder if the roll has unexposed film. It looks like the shutter was not actually opening, or that the lens aperture was VERY small and the shutter speed was very,very fast. This is not a photofinishing lab's fault or problem...this is a camera-origin fault. The blank, film based colored spaces have not received any light.

I would open the camera's back, and with the camera set to 1/250 second and the lens to f/5.6, hold it up to a window and shoot 10,12 pictures, and SEE for yourself if the shutter is actually opening every single time. My guess is that the shutter is operating erratically,at best.

I see 11 more-or-less decent exposures, and the remainder if the roll has unexposed film. It looks like the shutter was not actually opening, or that the lens aperture was VERY small and the shutter speed was very,very fast. This is not a photofinishing lab's fault or problem...this is a camera-origin fault. The blank, film based colored spaces have not received any light.

I would open the camera's back, and with the camera set to 1/250 second and the lens to f/5.6, hold it up to a window and shoot 10,12 pictures, and SEE for yourself if the shutter is actually opening every single time. My guess is that the shutter is operating erratically,at best.

Yup, yup, yup ^^^

Most reactions

Back