Minox film fine grain developer

Edubarca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello my friends., Greetings from Colombia. I am an avid collector and user of the famous Minox Spy camera. I have a small collection of Minox cameras and accessories. Check my YouTube channel as Eduardo Barriga. It needs updating because I have acquired more cameras and accessories ever since I posted this video in 2013. When i started to develop my Minox 9.5mm film I used Kodak Microdol X fine grain developer which, as far as I know, is no longer made. Nowadays I would like to have some advice from you experts. What developer can I use for fine grain developing ISO 100 Aristo EDU Fine 100 ISO film? I have been successful in developing this film in 35mm format using Caffenol. Anjybody out there can tell me if I have to change the formula in order to obtain fine grain negatives?. Thanks in advance EDUARDO

Thanks, but can you be a little more specific? What do you mean by Push c3200 to25000? I appreciate your help

Understood and thanks. Please note that the Minox negative is 8 x 11 mm. I need a very fine grain in order to get nice enlargements of 20 x 25 cms using my Minox enlarger,

I haven't developed any B&W film in 30 years. When I stopped developing I was using Kodak HC110 at various dilutions. I believe that Ilford and Kodak are still making several fine grain B&W developers these days. Here is an article at B&H that may be helpful.

After reading this, it looks like Ilford Perceptol is the closest replacement to Microdol X.
I loved the way Plus X developed in Microdol X. It gave it a creamy quality I could never get with HC110 or D76.
good luck.

Last edited:
I haven't developed any B&W film in 30 years. When I stopped developing I was using Kodak HC110 at various dilutions. I believe that Ilford and Kodak are still making several fine grain B&W developers these days. Here is an article at B&H that may be helpful.

After reading this, it looks like Ilford Perceptol is the closest replacement to Microdol X.
I loved the way Plus X developed in Microdol X. It gave it a creamy quality I could never get with HC110 or D76.
good luck.
Thank you very much. I will order some Ilford Perceptol and try it. You mention Plux X but remember that my negatives are 8 x 11 mm size. This means I MUST use the finest grain possible developer. Otherwise, although the Minox lens is perhaps one of the most sharpest ever made, it is still a very small negative thus, I must use fine grain deeveloper, citherwise I cannot make enlargements bigger than 12 x 8 cms. Thanks again

I like to shoot Kodak T-Max 3200 ISO speed BW film and push to 25000 ISO. Works well for shooting 400 ISO film to 1600 or 3200 ISO as well.

Article on pushing film.... Lomography - Tipster: A Quick Guide to Pushing and Pulling Black and White Film With Lomography Earl Grey
I thought this issue was settled 40 years ago, but I guess I was wrong. You can't push B&W film beyond about 1 1/2 stops. All you end up doing is reducing the Dmax to the point that your 7 step grey scale is reduced to about 4. There is no magic here, whether it be in the film or the developer.

I thought this issue was settled 40 years ago, but I guess I was wrong. You can't push B&W film beyond about 1 1/2 stops. All you end up doing is reducing the Dmax to the point that your 7 step grey scale is reduced to about 4. There is no magic here, whether it be in the film or the developer.
Well, you did not have Kodak X-Tol 40 years ago (introduced in 1996). It works well when pushing BW to the max.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back