Developing 110 Slides

CongoJoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Almost 50 years ago I took a number of color slides using an old 110 camera. I am not an accomplished photogragher but these slides were taken during some historic times. Now I would like to have them devloped as prints so I can capture them in PowerPoint for a ppresentation I will soon be giving. The man at Walgreens says he can not devlope them and he doesn't think there is any place to send them. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bill

You want your slides paper printed? Try mpix.com for that. It sounds to me, though, that you don't really need them printed, but rather scanned into digital format.

You want your slides paper printed? Try mpix.com for that. It sounds to me, though, that you don't really need them printed, but rather scanned into digital format.

icassell,

Thanks for that quick response.

You are correct. Ultimately I need them scanned into my computer so I can use them in PowerPoint. Some are developed slides in those cardboard frames and others are undeveloped strips of negatives. Is there a source for getting both scanned?

Thanks again for your help.

Bill

Are you talking about 120? I can't say that I know for sure since I never used that format but it is hard to imagine 110 slide film. And if it is 120, it should make it easier to find a place to do the scans for you.

However, depending on how many you have, it might be cheaper to get a scanner and do the work yourself.

I used to have a 110 camera (Kodak Instamatic) when I was a kid and I did get slides ...

I know there are camera shops here in AZ that will scan for you ... I'll bet there are places on the web too.

UPDATE:

I did a quick google of "Scanning slides" and have no direct experience, so I can't vouch for this place, but if there's one, there are probably others:

http://www.slidescanning.com/

I used to have a 110 camera (Kodak Instamatic) when I was a kid and I did get slides ...

I know there are camera shops here in AZ that will scan for you ... I'll bet there are places on the web too.

UPDATE:

I did a quick google of "Scanning slides" and have no direct experience, so I can't vouch for this place, but if there's one, there are probably others:

Slide Scanning Service | Scanning Slides to DVD | Scan Slides to CD | Slides to Digital | Negative Scanning Service | 8mm film to dvd | super 8 film to dvd | Transfer Slides to DVD | Convert Slides to DVD | Digitize Slides | convert slides to digital

Icassell,

Kodak Instamatic is exactly what I had. I was in a situation at the time in which a standard camera was not practical for reasons I dare not go into. Thanks for that web site. You are a big help. Before your reply I did not even know what to ask for.

Thanks,

Bill

Are you talking about 120? I can't say that I know for sure since I never used that format but it is hard to imagine 110 slide film. And if it is 120, it should make it easier to find a place to do the scans for you.

However, depending on how many you have, it might be cheaper to get a scanner and do the work yourself.

Cloudwalker,

I suppose it is rather obvious I am a rank armature at this. I don’t even describe the problem well. It was 110 and I have strips of negatives that were never developed if that helps.

Thanks for your input.

Bill.

Glad I could help. Let us know how it turns out and, if you use that place, give us a review!

I suppose it is rather obvious I am a rank armature at this. I don’t even describe the problem well. It was 110 and I have strips of negatives that were never developed if that helps.

No problem. We all were amateurs at one point in time.

Good luck with your project.

One last thought.

Since it sounds as if those slides may have some historical value, before you put them in the mail make sure there is not a local company doing scans. Few things get lost in the mail but it does happen.

...it is hard to imagine 110 slide film...

... if you have a limited knowledge of photographic history from the 1970's...

Kodak introduced 110 Pocket Instamatic camreras with color negative (Kodacolor II), color slide (Ektachrome-X and Kodachrome-X), and B&W (Verichrome Pan). Initially, the slide films were mounted in 30x30mm mounts rather than the 2x2" mounts used for 35mm, 126, and 127 Super Slides. Adapters were sold for allowing the small 30x30mm mounts to be used in 2x2" slide projectors and viewers. There was a series of Kodak Pocket Carousel projectors marketed as part of the original product line.

Later, the Pocket Carousel projectors faded from the market and Kodak's labs began offering 2x2 mounts as an option. Later the 2x2 became standard and the 30x30mm mounts vanished.

110 slides in 2x2 mounts and those in 30x30 mounts if inserted into the adapters can be scanned in conventional film scanners configured for 35mm. Depending on the scanning software, some manual adjustment may be necessary if the software doesn't auto-sense the smaller image area.

One last thought.

Since it sounds as if those slides may have some historical value, before you put them in the mail make sure there is not a local company doing scans. Few things get lost in the mail but it does happen.

That is a valid point, cloudwalker. When I was in the Middle East I got some really good, close shots of incoming at great risk. I did not want to get them developed locally for obvious reasons so I mailed them home to be developed. When I got back to the US after my tour and picked up my photos those good shots were gone. A similar thing happened to a Swede over there. Only, to his surprise, one of his photos ended up on the cover of Time Magazine. Somebody made some money off of his guts.

Thanks again for the advice.

Bill

Glad I could help. Let us know how it turns out and, if you use that place, give us a review!

Thanks, Ian Iwill do that if I can figure out how to post on the forum. I supose I'll worry about that then.

Thanks again,

Bill

...it is hard to imagine 110 slide film...

... if you have a limited knowledge of photographic history from the 1970's...

Kodak introduced 110 Pocket Instamatic camreras with color negative (Kodacolor II), color slide (Ektachrome-X and Kodachrome-X), and B&W (Verichrome Pan). Initially, the slide films were mounted in 30x30mm mounts rather than the 2x2" mounts used for 35mm, 126, and 127 Super Slides. Adapters were sold for allowing the small 30x30mm mounts to be used in 2x2" slide projectors and viewers. There was a series of Kodak Pocket Carousel projectors marketed as part of the original product line.

Later, the Pocket Carousel projectors faded from the market and Kodak's labs began offering 2x2 mounts as an option. Later the 2x2 became standard and the 30x30mm mounts vanished.

110 slides in 2x2 mounts and those in 30x30 mounts if inserted into the adapters can be scanned in conventional film scanners configured for 35mm. Depending on the scanning software, some manual adjustment may be necessary if the software doesn't auto-sense the smaller image area.

Very interesting Dwig.

I suspect the man at Walgreens is not a professional but received enough training to develope standard films and that is all. Hopefully, I can find a real professional locally. It helps that I now know that it is possible.

Bill

Most reactions

Back