Developing Your Own - Which TPF members do and which dont?

binglemybongle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im new to TPF and hopefully im not making a dreadful fau par by saying i dont develop my own film.

In my defence im only really starting out. Ive had a reasonable (but old) SLR for about 5 years but somethings just suddenly kicked me up the arse and got me going out and investigating different techniques, equipment, films etc.

The only problem i have about getting advice from web pages is that ill be scrolling down going -

"hey.... wow..... yeah, that looks good............."

Scribbling down bits and pieces and then it will go into how to complete the whole technique by holding back on certain parts of development, diluting thia and that etc.

How important is it to be able to develop your own?

If you go to a reputable, independant photographry store with someone who knows what theyre doing, is it just as good a quality?

Do larger stores (dont know in the US, but Boots in England for example) chuck things in a big auto developer machine?

Basically:
-Can you trust some spotty little gimp at some mega-store?
-Can you trust the guy whos 50 in the independant (although he may wear paisley slippers)?
-Is it a good idea, at this relatively early stage, to start investigating in potions and converting a room?

P.S. is this emoticon vomiting mercury? :drool: He/she looks happy whatever so im not worried.

I look forward to some answers to this question too!

I don't know about other devellopers but Tesco is awful! Out of 3 filme they have missed prints on all of them even telling me that the machine is incapable of printing dark prints although it's develloped the negative and printed the image on a preview sheet!?

Just put 1 last film with "normal" pictures on it and this is their last chance! If they mess this one up I too will be looking for an old guy in paisley slippers! :lmao:

Do the modern computer printers at devellopers produce as good a print as using an enlarger on true photo paper? I've noticed that my prints from Tesco and my wifes from Max Spielmans have a slight grainy, interpolated mix of dots in them.

Don't worry you haven't committed a fau par, not even a faux pas either. (hehe sorry)

Everyone here is pretty open about however you go about developping your photos or manipulating them. There's a section for alternative techniques and Photoshop as well on this site so we've got a big mix of people.
There's a lot of really great people here who develop there own film so they will definately be able to help you with any 'diluting' questions you have.

WRT where to get photos developped, I'd go by past experience. Try out a bunch of places. I've heard some great stories about both Wal-Mart and professional labs, but I've also heard pure horror stories from both of these types of labs.

And I think the emoticon is supossed to be drooling. hehehe but now I'm always going to think of mercury.
Welcome to the forum too!

Are you talking B&W or Color?

I think if your shooting B&W, it's so easy to do, that you should be doing it your self. And yes I do develop my own B&W.

Color is a different story. Nastier chems and more sensitive to temps. I will have a lab process the film. It's a crap shoot on where to go. You just have to try them out and see. I have a couple of good labs around me, so it's not a problem.

And welcome to the TPF. If you are interested in B&W and darkroom stuff, there are quite a few of us that can help you along.

I develop and print my own BW film. I take color (usually C-41) to the lab. I've been having problems getting the quality that I was used to, though. I don't know if it's because all the labs have switched to digital printing processes that just aren't optimal for film, or if it's less experience with film with today's lab techs. I did my own color processing and printing in college, and I keep meaning to take another color printing class just to use the lab before it disappears from the course schedule.

I'd suggest taking a darkroom class, and see if you are really into it before converting a room and investing in equipment. If you find that you do like it, them by all means, set up your own darkroom. It's a blast!

Only you can determine if your lab techs (econo or pro) are trustworthy.

Can you trust some spotty little gimp at some mega-store?
I like this newbie. :biglaugh:

Hey, don't sweat the spelling & grammer around here too much. Basically we're all fumbling in the dark so we've learned to understand each other. :)

I only got into the darkroom last year, and I love it. My husband always printed my stuff for me (he's an aerial photographer with access to a darkroom) so I'd been accustomed to quality B&W hand printing for years, but when I started shooting more, he challenged me to think about how much I really wanted to learn and explore. It annoyed me to lose that service ;) but I am grateful now for the push. It's a powerful feeling to have total control over the entire process. It's fairly easy to learn the basics of darkroom processing; how obsessive you get with it is your call.

You should consider a class, like ksmattfish suggested, before ripping into a room. Make sure you're all lit up inside over it. Once you're there, we'll still be here to give as much advice and help as you like. I know you already found the alternative forum here, be sure to check out the darkroom forum, as well. :thumbup:

Although I've shot almost entirely digital for the past year or more, I used to develop all of my own B&W. I got a lot more enjoyment out of doing it myself and having more control. Color is definitely a different story. There are a couple of small, family owned camera shops near me that do in-house developing and they have been great for any color processing I needed.

Chase said:
Although I've shot almost entirely digital for the past year or more, I used to develop all of my own B&W. I got a lot more enjoyment out of doing it myself and having more control.

^^^THIS is the same story as mine.^^^

I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I really don't miss the darkroom.

-Pete

<----Home Process Pride!

Yeah, i process at home all my B&W film and I liike the fact that I can push or pull process very accurately and if it is jacked...I am the only one to blame.

It seems im among a good mixture of dos and don'ts. That gives me more confidence.

Is there any sort of unspoken rule about which shots you post? Quality wise.

Ive read the blurb - no nudity and the like - but is there a general standard that people prefer not to sink below?

I have a few photos im going to take to work to scan and put on the site, if its not the case. Its from a couple of years ago when i still just pointed and snapped, but some of it turned out ok.....

At least i think it did. Could be rose tinted glasses and it may be just poor!

They wont go in the critique because there would be no point, as im not sure what i did in the first place! But comments on any composition or ideas or how a similar thing can be achieved are quite welcome.

And so the hunt begins....................... (for the least embarassing "work"! - i use the term work loosely)

binglemybongle said:
It seems im among a good mixture of dos and don'ts. That gives me more confidence.

Is there any sort of unspoken rule about which shots you post? Quality wise.

Ive read the blurb - no nudity and the like - but is there a general standard that people prefer not to sink below?

I have a few photos im going to take to work to scan and put on the site, if its not the case. Its from a couple of years ago when i still just pointed and snapped, but some of it turned out ok.....

At least i think it did. Could be rose tinted glasses and it may be just poor!

They wont go in the critique because there would be no point, as im not sure what i did in the first place! But comments on any composition or ideas or how a similar thing can be achieved are quite welcome.

And so the hunt begins....................... (for the least embarassing "work"! - i use the term work loosely)
If you've read JonMikal's sticky in the Critique Forum (he's the moderator there) you'll see that the critique is reserved for those images you really are seeking a critique on. It gets a bit overrun in there at times, and we're trying to steer folks into the proper channels, so I really appreciate this question from you. :thumbup:

When you post in critique, we'd like to know the equipment you used, what you were trying to achieve, etc. Period. For the rest of the time, the general gallery works great if you just want an "attaboy" kind of reply on something you think is good, your vacation shots, or maybe just a more casual critique. Simply telling people what kind of reception you are looking for helps a lot, when you post an image.

Hope this helps. :) Now start posting! :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back