developing

hirschizer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
well i have a canon eos 500 and well seeing as i cant really run to the store and get my film devolped kinda ruins the point of the camer.
i was wondering cheap ways of developing film. Id like to(be able to do it at home. One option i have is, a scanner i have that can scan negatives but the problem is i dont know how to make my film negatives. If u guys could give me some help or maybe a site with a how to id :heart: it

I'll give you an equipment list of the things I use.

1. Changing bag - black light tight bag that you can use to load the film reel without exposing the film to light.

2. Tank and reel - to fit the film you are going to use.

3. Thermometer. - Anything that reads from 60 to 80 degrees will do fine.

4. Church key and scissors - if you are using 35mm film.

5. 4 1 liter or 1 qt. bottles.

6. Developer - D76 is a good starting point. It works well with about everything.

7. Fixer - Stops the developing process, clears the undeveloped silver and hardens everything for permanency.

8. Hypo Clearing Agent - Optional but I use it to reduce the washing time.

9. Photo Flo - Also optional but good if you have hard water. It will allow the negs to dry clean.

10. Clips to hang the film strip for drying. Laundry clips work well. So do the office clips.

This setup should cost about $60 or so with everything included.

fmw said:
4. Church key and scissors - if you are using 35mm film.

A "church key" is another name for a bottle opener for all you youngsters out there:lmao:

wheres the best place to get this stuff? FMW you forgot the stop bath

oooo only reason i asked cause my teacher wants us to use it

Freestyle is the cheapest place to get darkroom stuff in my experience. I'd try D76 first - I used that when I mixed my own chemicals at home for the first time last week (I'd been developing at my school darkroom, but everything's already mixed for us there) and my negs came out flawlessly, except that I skipped the photo flo. For the water at my house, that most definitely is NOT an optional step :)

Also, please note all of these responses so far have been for black & white traditional film. This setup won't work for color (I have no idea how to develop color film).

Most reactions

Back