Did you get or gift anything photography related for Christmas?

I bought my self a new home thermostat. The one I have now is broke so my home furnace won't turn on. :D. Nothing fancy but it should get the job done.

Lucky dog. In March of this year, our downstairs heat pump bit the dust, then in August of this year the upstairs unit bit the dust. 10k later we had two new thermostats and all the stuff to go with them :angry: So it put a crimp in the plans for a new K1. I did manage to scrape up enough for a new (to me) Pentax DA 18-135 lens.:1247:

That is what I miss about pre-digital, at least I would always receive packs of film for Christmas.

Gifted myself two lenses: Fuji 23mm f2 and Fuji 35mm f2. Thank you self Santa!

Photography related... my sister-in-law made one of those photo calendars for my mom and 11 of the family photos of the grandchildren that she used were mine. Had she asked me, I would have sent her the full res versions. Instead she pulled them from Facebook and the quality is terrible!
Wow. That's a no-win situation, eh? I don't guess there's any way to get those points across without making her feel badly about it. Likely she thought you'd be flattered.

I’m totally ok with her using the photos and yes a little flattered but horrified that anyone would see it and know those low res noisy looking photos are mine! You nailed it that it’s no win. there’s no way to say anything without sounding assy.

You’re much more politically correct than I ever could be and I applaud that.

My family knows that I’m an @$$hole and has come to expect it, so I’d say something with my usual sarcastic tone. But then, I’m the guy who’s currently reading a book titled, “The subtle art of not giving a F$%#.” :048:
This has absolutely nothing to do with being "politically correct." There are no politics involved. Being willing to speak your mind to make sure that everyone, at all times, knows exactly what you are really thinking - despite it perhaps inflicting discomfort, embarrassment, unease, regret, shame, or any number of negative emotions or reactions to your comments on your unsuspecting listener - well, that makes you acting more like a bully.

Sometimes, it can be better to simply shrug things off and take the high road - especially with family. That's all that's happening here. Maybe your next book should be this one. ;)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Gifted myself two lenses: Fuji 23mm f2 and Fuji 35mm f2. Thank you self Santa!

Photography related... my sister-in-law made one of those photo calendars for my mom and 11 of the family photos of the grandchildren that she used were mine. Had she asked me, I would have sent her the full res versions. Instead she pulled them from Facebook and the quality is terrible!
Wow. That's a no-win situation, eh? I don't guess there's any way to get those points across without making her feel badly about it. Likely she thought you'd be flattered.

I’m totally ok with her using the photos and yes a little flattered but horrified that anyone would see it and know those low res noisy looking photos are mine! You nailed it that it’s no win. there’s no way to say anything without sounding assy.

You’re much more politically correct than I ever could be and I applaud that.

My family knows that I’m an @$$hole and has come to expect it, so I’d say something with my usual sarcastic tone. But then, I’m the guy who’s currently reading a book titled, “The subtle art of not giving a F$%#.” :048:
This has absolutely nothing to do with being "politically correct." There are no politics involved. Being willing to speak your mind to make sure that everyone, at all times, knows exactly what you are really thinking - despite it perhaps inflicting discomfort, embarrassment, unease, regret, shame, or any number of negative emotions or reactions to your comments on your unsuspecting listener - well, that makes you acting more like a bully.

Sometimes, it can be better to simply shrug things off and take the high road - especially with family. That's all that's happening here. Maybe your next book should be this one. ;)

I won’t degrade this thread into an argument.

But there are certainly family politics involved in this situation. Political correctness doesn’t necessarily have to relate to government politics.

I’m very thankful that my family doesn’t operate like a typical family. We are all brutally honest and express our true feelings. We don’t walk on eggshells around each other for fear of offending someone. If we have a problem with a person, an action, or a situation we make it known, discuss it like adults, and move on. It keeps small issues from building up into resentment over time.

If you can’t be honest and open with your own family, then where can you?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There is a difference between being open and honest when it’s important or necessary and being “honest” by needing to say everything including things that may make them uncomfortable for no good reason. Maybe next year I’ll ask her if she’s making another calendar and tell her to let me know if she needs me to send her photos because I can sharpen them up for printing.

There is a difference between being open and honest when it’s important or necessary and being “honest” by needing to say everything including things that may make them uncomfortable for no good reason. Maybe next year I’ll ask her if she’s making another calendar and tell her to let me know if she needs me to send her photos because I can sharpen them up for printing.
Sounds perfect - now that you know she has this in mind as a nice gift, you can be tactful about making sure she gets high quality files. :)

That is what I miss about pre-digital, at least I would always receive packs of film for Christmas.

I still get packs of...hey, wait a minute...no one got me film this year! :mad-44: They'd better make up for it for my birthday!

My fiance gave my this funny little thing. It looks like a lot of fun. Need some decent weather to properly play with it.
View attachment 151347

What the heck is it?

It's a lensbaby trio. B knows I like weird, 'arty' lenses, and I'd mentioned this one to him before. :)

It's three of their lenses in one, more or less. The Velvet, sweet and Twist... which is nice because 2 (the real versions) of those work best on a full frame camera and I don't have one, LOL!

Gave - box of figs, cookies, wine, earphones, luggage scale, vacuum flask
Got - Amazon echo 2, socks, Star Wars undies, cash

Nothing photography related and I like it that way.

My husband did ask me if there were any lenses I wanted, but I want to rent before I buy to see if I really need one. We normally do not buy each other gifts and just get something for ourselves after Christmas. I am gifting myself a class or two at Creative Live. I took one earlier this year on family posing. It did help me with posing the grandkids.

I bought myself two (2) new (old) lenses; a Nikon 200mm f/4 (excellent condition), and a Nikon 135 f/3.5 in junk condition, but it looks useable. Other than a quick couple of shots to verify function, I haven't actually used them. I've got several new (old) lenses that I need to put through their paces when I get time.

My dear sweet wife bought me a pair of walking sticks that I plan to use as a make-shift bipod when out walking. Haven't used them yet.

I bought and gifted a (used) Nikon D5000 to my son and DIL. She squealed with delight when she opened it. Mission accomplished.

Awesome. Let us know how the walking stick/bipod works out. Great job with the Nikon. Love it when that happens.

I bought and gifted a (used) Sony A200 to my 15 year old nephew. Thought he was going to wet himself. Lol. Included were the 18-70mm & 75-300mm lenses. Two batteries and dual charger, cables, manuals and software. There was also a few filters and a screw on wide angle lens that came with it. Threw it all into a new Ruggard Commando 36 shoulder bag.

He follows me around like a puppy dog anytime I have the camera out. Loves it when I hand him one I bought to resell. Has a great eye and a good tester. Should have seen him with my Tamron 90mm macro. Did better than I did with it at first. Oh...he wants me to find one of those for him too. Lol.

My fiance gave my this funny little thing. It looks like a lot of fun. Need some decent weather to properly play with it.
View attachment 151347

What the heck is it?

It's a lensbaby trio. B knows I like weird, 'arty' lenses, and I'd mentioned this one to him before. :)

It's three of their lenses in one, more or less. The Velvet, sweet and Twist... which is nice because 2 (the real versions) of those work best on a full frame camera and I don't have one, LOL!

Thanks for explaining. I was scratching my head too. Pretty cool. Let us know what you think of it.

No.2 Brownie from my daughter. (and a roll of film)
IMG_1913 (683x1024).jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back