Difference in aperture and sensor size - anyone willing to help

OK, now I see, I was forgetting about the need for greater amount of enlargement to achieve the same final photo size when using the smaller sensor size.

I've used the same lenses on a film rangefinder and my digital camera which is crop sensor; the field of view obviously is what's different if I'm standing in the same place photographing the same thing. I don't know if there would be that much difference using a f2 or 2.8.

What I've found shooting sports is even if I'm shooting with a somewhat larger aperture the background is still there, somewhat less in focus but the posts and poles and trash cans and cones etc. are still there, just maybe somewhat less noticeable. I usually try to find the best vantage points to get the best backgrounds I can.

If the players are near the boards across from me then people/seats close to them are going to be in focus too so I try to frame shots accordingly, keeping an eye on signage and spectators etc. so things look straight and not cut off. I'd think you'd be able to somewhat minimize the backgrounds if you're able to photograph the jumps etc. that are somewhat farther from the background, if that's possible in that venue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back