Difficult descision. Body or lens (a little different)

DSLR noob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT. It has a shutter life expectancy of 30,000 to 50,000 actuations. I have taken maybe 20,000 shots in the past year (I am very camera happy, and shoot 100+ photos daily).

For Christmas, I have been offered (by my mom) a Canon 70-200 F/4 L, or trade in my XT and she'll pay the difference on a 30D..............

Now I know lenses are more important for better images, but I am asking this. Would it be smarter to buy the 30D for reliability, or the 20-200 f/4 for quality? Either one is an upgrade but IQ isn't the only factor here, it's a dual variable equation. what would you do? I'd hate to have my shutter die in 6 months, knowing that getting a 30D could extend it to 5 years........ but what's the use if I'm only shooting on a kit lens and a 50mm 1.8?

Another option, that I'd have to do in hopes of beating the clock is to get the lens for Christmas, then saving my own money, try and gather up enough for a 30D before my XT dies.

rebel XT's life is only 30-50k? Damn. That's no good...lol.

Hmm...I'd say just get the lens now(it's an awesome lens), and use up the rest of those actuations, and then either get the shutter fixed, or upgrade to the 30D (or similar) at that time. But you could go either way.

Deff get the lens. You're thinking about this the wrong way. Think of it like your car. Me and my friend have the same car, his has more milage and his cluth went out at 80k. And 80k on a clutch is a reasonable life expectancy. That was like a year or two ago, my cars now at 117k and still on the same one. Dont fix whats not broken, youll be way happier building up a base of lenses till a new body is needed.

Shutter life is not too much of a worry unless you depend on the camera for income. It will fail, but it's not something that can't be fixed. That said if you're doing a wedding and the shutter fails half way though, then you probably can't be fixed anymore after you tell your clients that you missed their big day :er:.

Garbz, I'm disappointed in you!!

Do you mean to tell me that you don't have a CUT clause in your wedding contracts???

The Cut clause states -for anyone who doesn't know- that whenever the photographer -that's me- says "CUT" everybody -thats you- has to stop until the photographer -that's me- says "ACTION" upon which time everybody -that's you- picks right back up exactly where they left off.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Shutter life is not too much of a worry unless you depend on the camera for income. It will fail, but it's not something that can't be fixed. That said if you're doing a wedding and the shutter fails half way though, then you probably can't be fixed anymore after you tell your clients that you missed their big day :er:.

Good thing you were keeping a spare camera around your neck during the ceremony, alternating shots between the two then AND chimping to make sure you shots were good as you went along, then, isn't it?

NICELY negotiated! Get As - I think we'd all be disappointed at this point if you come back here with only the lens!

Most reactions

Back