Digital Infrared

ksmattfish said:
markc said:
Don't forget to focus closer than the subject. I think it's about 10-20% closer. If one example, if the subject is 50' away, focus at 40-45'. It would be good to experiment.

I know zooms rarely have it, but don't modern prime lenses have the IR focus indicator on the focusing scale? All of my pre-90's primes (even the cheapies) have it.

Yup. My 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 do. It's a red dot or line. In the case of those two lenses, it's really close to the normal focal point.

Digital Matt said:
In my experiments, which have had good results, I am focusing right on, and stopping down to f11, and the focus is right on, at least for landscapes.
It may seem that way, but it's not as sharp as it could be. The shorter the focal length, the more off it will be. If you are using a filter that lets a lot of visible light in, then you might want to pick somewhere in between.

I'm using a 50mm, so it's not the shortest focal length lens by any means. I'll try and focus a bit closer though for sure, and see if I can notice a difference.

I believe I used my 24-84 wide angle zoom for this... and I actually bought (because I am too cheap for a hoya) a Lee Gel Filter... which I cut to fit between the lens and the body.

the hotspot is pretty annoying, and I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of it, (since I do have some without it but I always forget what I did) but the weather has been pretty "non-sunny" (ie crappy) this summer, so I havn't had much photo opportunity.

thanks for all your nice comments.

I went out and picked up a Hoya R72 filter and gave it a shot. The weather was nice and sunny but the wind was blowing. At least it was enough to give me an idea. They are in my gallery if anyone cares to look. There is nothing special about them.

Here's two shots I did a while back using a cheap Intel digital and two layers of developed film leaders as a filter held over the lens.

infrared1.jpg

infrared2.jpg

Nothing special, just showing that exposed film can be used as a IR filter. Not the best way to do it, as the optical quality sucks. You can use it to make IR filters for your flash, though. If you are using an IR filter on your lens, putting the leaders over you flash will let you use it without people realizing it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back