Digital SLR for Beginner?

Twinkeethekid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, I've just recently enetered the world of photogrophy after being in the world of videogrophy for the past few years. So my knowledge of how cameras work and how to take pcitures aren't exactly at the lowest level. However, I am starting to look for a sill tcamera now. However, I don't know what to get. I'd like digital so i can experiment without waisting film, but I also love the look, feel, and control of an SLR. However, is a digital SLR (like the canon digital rebel) too expensive for a beginner (keep in mind Im a poor college student :wink: ). So should I just go film SLR or point and shoot digital (like a powershot G5), or just go all the way and save for a dSLR?

i wouldnt go with a point and shoot, u may want to "graduate" too fast and would end up investing in an SLR anyway :? ... i would go with an digital SLR that has program, aperture priority, shutter priority and fully manual capabilities .. that way u can graduate on the same camera for a while. :D

if you are on a tight budget and are looking for an SLR, get the digi rebel, or you could wait 2 months for the rumored Nikon compition to the rebel.

Yo,
The Canon Rebel is the cheapest you are going to get for a DSLR, unfortunately! I did initially want the Rebel, but I decided to just purchased a G5 due to budget constraints (ha ha, poor recently graduated college student here!). The thing about the Rebel is that it just feels soooo unsturdy. I rather wait for this photography hobby of mine to flourish because I really splurge for one of the Nikon D series.
The G5 is not so bad, though it has it drawbacks (the chromatic aberration is killing me softly!) - it was well worth the price. It's available for under $500 on various websites so if money is your main concern, go for it!
Good luck!
Me, the Flea

For beginer photogrpahy, if you are serious about learing, you need an SLR. P&S are great for snap shots but you will not learn, other then composition, how to use lenses and exposures etc.
A good cheap SLR i.e you can get a great Nikon n80 for less then $200 on ebay is miles ahead of a cheap digital non SLR. For a decent DSLR you need a least a grand, and wait for the Nikon D70 IMO.

wwjoeld

if you are on a tight budget and are looking for an SLR, get the digi rebel, or you could wait 2 months for the rumored Nikon compition to the rebel.

Really? so march sometime u think? maybe?

Twinkeethekid, I'm kind of in the same situation as you. I just starting getting into photography and also thought about buying a digital SLR. The difference is that I already have a digital P&S camera, but like Dew has mentioned I have already "graduated" from a P&S camera.

I would get a film SLR but I'm one of those trial & error type of people. This means I'll take many pictures to see what works best and that would be expensive with film. Also by the time I get the film developed I would forget what I was trying to learn with the shots.

Depending on how many photos you'll be taking you might actually save money in the long run by buying a DSLR. For example, I took many pictures around the house and whenever I felt like it for practice/learning. That would have cost me a fortune in film and the cost of getting those crappy learning pictures developed. Also because of the added expense I've noticed I'm more picky about taking pictures with film as opposed to digital. For example, I've learned less using my dad's film SLR compared to my P&S digital.

In my opinion a DSLR is worth the high price and can be cheaper in the long run. I can't tell you how many pictures I've deleted after I saw how bad they were. Although I'm going to have to start saving like crazy or buy a used one. :wink:

I bought a Canon power shot G3 after reading all the reviews on www.dpreview.com. I'm able to use manual settings, aperature priorty, and shutter priority. My Fstop only goes to 8, which I've heard is pretty lame, but otherwise I'm real happy at this point and feel like I'm learning the basics as far as exposure, depth of field, and so forth. I guess the one thing I'm not learning is lenses, but for the price and the excellent review above I decided to go with this for now.

What is the real advantage of an "SLR"? Why are they twice/three times as much? I thought the advantage of SLR was thru lense metering, but my g3 does this I think?

I bought the g3 instead of the g5 due to the same review above (talking about the chromatic aberations)

hum?

What is the real advantage of an "SLR"?

-A vast variety of lenses to meet nearly any situation.
-An actual viewfinder that you can constructively use to frame a shot.
-Vastly improved picture quality (bigger enlargements)
-Bigger picture buffer (keep taking shots)

Why are they twice/three times as much?

Mostly because the sensor costs so much more than a P&S sensor. Also better metering/flash options.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back