Digital to HDTV

Jack Flash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to digital photography but have accumulated a number of digital photographs over the past few years. We recently managed to view some sample photos on our HDTV at 1080p. It was a great way to see your memories. So I begin a quest to find out how to set up our digital library for HDTV viewing.... and how to upgrade our modest camera (PowerShot S30) to something more accommodating for HDTV pictures.

After days of online searching I've come to the conclusion this isn't something which has received much attention to date. I think all one needs to do is crop effectively to develop a suitable format for HDTV if the resolution is there to begin with. Unfortunately I haven't any experience with post processing software and what I have seen doesn't offer a HDTV crop tool. Dragging to accommodate a 1920 x 1080 pixel count is hit or miss on the few software packages I've tried.

Are there any guides out there for accomplishing this or for dealing with HDTV viewing? Surely this has been addressed by someone... hopefully.

Thanks

a lot of software has an image/canvas resize option. You can enter the numerical pixels that you need even if it is smaller than the image. This will crop to that size(on the canvas size). If the image is 2600x1800 or something, you'd first resize to the 1980width, then crop numerically to 1080.
dug

Welcome to the forum.

Actually, most of the software that I use or have seen...does allow for precise image sizing. Photoshop, for example, even has a crop tool that allows you to specify the resolution and aspect ration before you crop, then the tool sticks to the proper ratio when you use it.

Actually, I don't think that it's necessary for you to size your images perfectly for the resolution of your HDTV. As long as you have enough resolution, the images should display well.

Now, of course, most or all of your images won't match the aspect ratio of your TV. You could crop them to match the TV, but then you are loosing some of your images. You could just display them on the TV with blank space on the edges, so that the images are not compromised. Of course, the device that you use to display the images (or the TV itself) would have to be set so that it does not try to stretch the images to fit the screen.

The ideal way to acheive what you want to do would be using a computer. Windows offers a media center operating system. This opens up a lot of media options for you.

I have a computer with Windows XP on one of my HDTVs and I use to to surf the net, view Netflix movies via the internet, access images across my network, watch archived movies etc. It's fun to play with.
All my images are stored across my network on drives so what I do is launch DPP (on the pc connected to the tv) and run the slideshow for all my RAW images. Using this software scales them to the settings on the video card. WHich you set up for the native resolution on the tv. If you access images across your network, I would consider a gigabit network. 10/100 can be a little slow. Running them locally is not a problem and is even better.

You can also get video cards that support a HDTV which will give you even greater resolution. I currently use the VGA connection.

If you are into games and have the right video card, you can play your games too.

I didn't want a keyboard or mouse near my tv and I pretty much have connectivity all through my house (i play with my pictures while I watch tv all the time) , so i installed remote access software which allows me to access the computer and do whatever I want.

Sorry, I know this more info than you wanted, but it may be helpful

Thanks guys for the feedback on my question.

I've progressed to the point where I can crop and display pictures at 1920x1080 on our HDTV via the TiVo Desktop software. It does a reasonable job but the resolution still isn't what I expected.

I'm assuming that playing pictures at A2000's pixel resolution would be the best that a P HDTV could utilize.

Do you know if this is a valid assumption?

Thanks,

Then of course if money is no object, you could buy a Sony or Leica and shoot in HD format.

skieur

All my images are stored across my network on drives so what I do is launch DPP (on the pc connected to the tv) and run the slideshow for all my RAW images. Using this software scales them to the settings on the video card. WHich you set up for the native resolution on the tv. If you access images across your network, I would consider a gigabit network. 10/100 can be a little slow. Running them locally is not a problem and is even better.

You can also get video cards that support a HDTV which will give you even greater resolution. I currently use the VGA connection.

If you are into games and have the right video card, you can play your games too.

I didn't want a keyboard or mouse near my tv and I pretty much have connectivity all through my house (i play with my pictures while I watch tv all the time) , so i installed remote access software which allows me to access the computer and do whatever I want.

Sorry, I know this more info than you wanted, but it may be helpful

You're right in the middle of what I'm trying to do. I'm currently utilizing the Tivo Desktop S/W and wireless to move pictures to the HDTV but this isn't quite good enough. Wireless is somewhat temper-mental and I suspect the Desktop S/W limits the resolution but this is just a guess.

I'm missing your reference to the DPP software? What specifically is the package you're using?

If I correctly follow you, you are using a video software to produce a picture in the desired format; this is then communicated from your computer through a video card that drives your TV via a VGA connection? So I assume your HDTV has a VGA input which implies it is a HDTV monitor of some sort?

Is this correct?

Thanks for the guidance on this.

Alan....

You're right in the middle of what I'm trying to do. I'm currently utilizing the Tivo Desktop S/W and wireless to move pictures to the HDTV but this isn't quite good enough. Wireless is somewhat temper-mental and I suspect the Desktop S/W limits the resolution but this is just a guess.

I'm missing your reference to the DPP software? What specifically is the package you're using?

If I correctly follow you, you are using a video software to produce a picture in the desired format; this is then communicated from your computer through a video card that drives your TV via a VGA connection? So I assume your HDTV has a VGA input which implies it is a HDTV monitor of some sort?

Is this correct?

Thanks for the guidance on this.

Alan....

Hi Alan.
1- "I'm missing your reference to the DPP software? What specifically is the package you're using? "
This is Canon's Digitial Photo Professional. It's free software included with many cameras. I have it installed on the PC that's connected to the TV. If you want a slideshow, you can also use a zoombrowser. Also included with your camera. I open the software, access my RAW images across my network (pictures are on networked drives in my office) and display them on the TV.

2- "If I correctly follow you, you are using a video software to produce a picture in the desired format; this is then communicated from your computer through a video card that drives your TV via a VGA connection? So I assume your HDTV has a VGA input which implies it is a HDTV monitor of some sort?"
No video software. My video card is set at the native resolution of the HDTV. My images are displayed in the processing software which maintains the aspect ratio. Yes, my HDTV has a VGA connection. Many Video cards offer DVI/HDMI connections if you dont have a VGA.

I'm basically using my HDTV as a monitor and remotely accessing the PC over my network.

hope this helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back