DIY home studio thoughts.

Tulsa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of putting together a small studio in my garage or spare room. Its harder to get out around town to shoot with my 3 month old son, so why not set something up at home to have fun with and practice lighting.

Here are my thoughts, a couple DIY beauty dishes, some sort of backlighting, another beauty dish? I would like to get a black and/or white background, Is there any material that would be good rather than buying the real thing? I know the saying you get what you pay for, just curious if there is anything I can put together myself.

People, maybe $100.

Pretty cheap budget. What do you have already as far as lighting?

Paper, on a roll?

Or is that too close to "the real thing"?

Paper is probably the cheapest, best looking option.

Thought about that, but seems like it would not last long at all, wouldnt take much to winkle, Curious if there is any fabric thick enough to use? would be easy to wash.

Thought about that, but seems like it would not last long at all, wouldnt take much to winkle [...]

That's why it comes on a roll. Once it gets dirty/wrinkled you just rip it off and pull out a new peice.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
some PCV should work fine...

How about lighting? thinking about 2 DIY beauty dishes, one on each side, and then one backlight?

How about lighting? thinking about 2 DIY beauty dishes, one on each side, and then one backlight?

Is that coming out of the same $100 budget for the background?

DIY beauty dishes shouldn't cost much, but you'll still need 3 fairly bright light sources...

$100 was just a thought, I would like to stay close to it.
I have seen some people use regular utility style lights from Home Depot, would they work as well with a diffuser?

They work (I have used them), you will need to take WB reference shots though (no big deal). Most of them are not really bright enough for shooting people though... I mean, it will work if they can stay still, but it probably will be too slow for kids/babies.
I have a 1000 watt one, and I would say that's the bare minimum for making enough light to shoot people. Even then - you will need a tripod, and they will have to be very still. Shutter speeds will not be faster than 1/focal length.

Plus, they get really hot.

You would probably be better off finding 3 cheap flashes (which probably wouldn't cost a lot more than the work lights.

The work lights are fine for still life, or any kind of non-living thing, but they are not quite optimal for portraiture... It'll work if that's all you have, but just barely.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back