Do I just need more practice?

Discussion in 'Macro Photography' started by Feezor, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Feezor

Feezor TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys I just am borrowing a lens from a friend for a week or so today is day 2. This is a picture I took this morning of a bug on a dandelion. I cant seem to get the whole thing in focus. If the eyes are in focus then the body isn't and vise versa. Please if you have any idea of how I can get better pictures let me know. Its a Canon 100mm EF 1:2.8 macro.

Shutter speed : 1/250
    Aperture : 5.6
    ISO : 100

[​IMG]

2. ifi

ifi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is a nice shot. You can try to close aperture a bit to focus more.

3. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A higher ISO would allow stopping down and reasonable shutter speeds for more depth of field. That is what you're having problems with. When shooting that close DOF is mighty shallow even closed up. Good macro is tough. And that's not a bad image either. Trial and error is how everyone learns just keep at it.

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your aperture is at f/5.6 which is far too large for most good bug macros. Getting DOF in a macro image is always difficult. I usually shoot bugs at about f/11 or f/13 and, even then, it is often difficult to get the whole bug in focus (unless he is parallel to your imaging plane). In that situation, the best compromise is to get the eyes spot-on. That is the most important part of the image.

Good luck!

5. Feezor

Feezor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I will try out those tips. Thanks guys!

6. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    cus use more DOF...seems little blurry and that yellow stem in front is annoying...

7. Arkanjel Imaging

Arkanjel Imaging No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First off, stop looking at NateS threads and your macros will appear 100% better. :lmao:

Seriously though, keep working at it. Macro is rewarding but it takes a lot of patience.

8. irfan

irfan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    or u could just move back a little :) jk

9. GregR

GregR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No kidding!!

Just keep shooting and adjusting. Macro is a LOT of patience when dealing with little critters that just don't follow direction!

10. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lol...thanks guys.

For tips, I would do a couple things....since youa re natural light...backing up and cropping in post will give you more DOF (i.e. shoot near 1:2 and crop into 1:1).

Second, don't crop too heavy. I've shot these subjects a lot and I know that you are probably pushing a 100% crop on the above shot.

Third, as mentioned, you need more DOF....but you can do it with f5.6. If you look at the post I did recently of the green sweat bee. I forgot to change my settings after a portrait shoot and that shot is at f5.6. It was an accident and it would have been much better at f/13, but it is still sharp and in focus.

Lastly, when you get the bug in the focal plane....start firing away...take 50 pictures of the same subject while trying to hold it in focus. Chances are that you will end up with quite a few that are in focus and maybe even a few that work for focus stacking. I'm down to shooting maybe 15 shots of the same subject/pose to get this, but I started by taking 50 or so each time. It honestly looks like this one is just a mis-focused shot and if you had fired a bunch more you'd probably have one with better focus. Focus looks to be on his hind end under the wings.

11. Nod

Nod TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Question for NateS, would flash fill help bring out the details more?

12. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Fillflash would certainly help where you have shadows in the shot, especailly since its very easy to end up shadowing the subject with a part of your self (something you want to try and avoid as much as possible, not just for exposure but also because shadows appearing over insects is one thing that they use as a warning and many will scarper (esp the winged sorts).

However fillflash would essentailly mean that you were relying upon natural light as a main component of the light for the shot, this carries with it risks if your shutter speed is not fast enough at the time. A slow shutter speed shot with fillflash can certainly work, but you need that perfect static subject and camera - otherwise you will end up with blur where the camera capture the ambient and fillflash out of sync with each other.*

Like NateS my main experiences and work with macro is with flash as the dominant lighting source.

*ie you get one exposure for the fillflash and overlayed on that the one for the ambient lighting.