Do I look or Do I suck it up?

Kerri Rae

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an odd situation and need some advice.

I'm getting married in August, it's a VERY simple wedding with 8 guests and a quick, 5 minute civil ceremony. After the ceremony I wanted to take some pictures and am thus far planning on getting most of them with my tripod and the self timer or remote on my camera. I don't want to hire a photographer for a few reasons 1. Price (it's in Kananaskis which is miles away from any photographer) 2. I want to be able to have all the digital prints to edit and do what I want with. 3. I don't want somebody else posing us, I want to take the pictures I have in mind.

Everynow and then I think it would be easier for me (the bride) to just get somebody out there, but I wouldn't know what type of person to look for, a student maybe? Obviously no Proffesional photographer is going to come all the way out there for $100 and hand over all the RAW digital files.

If I decided to look for somebody to help me take pictures, where would I look? Any suggestions would be VERY helpful.

Pay my gas mileage for the 2-3 day drive, and I'll happily shoot it :D

:p

On a serious note...the only thing I can say is that it's your wedding. The only thing that I would want to be focused on on the day would be my bride, and besides that, the memories will only last so long whereas the photographs will last forever. For that reason, while there's obviously a ceiling to every budget, I do think it would be wise to see if there's any wedding photographers from Calgary or anywhere else nearby that would be willing to do the drive but, more importantly, you like.

Besides that, my cousin's getting married at the end of the summer. She's hired a full-out pro photographer for the ceremony and everything, but she also wants me to shoot the wedding on a bit less of an intensive scale, but capturing more candid moments, etc. Maybe if any of the guests who are coming could provide a similar role?

Congrats, btw :)

Even if it is just a firend you should find someone to take care of the photography. Just remember even with a quick ceremony, actually especially with a quick ceremony it will be very easy to miss the images you want. You should find someone you trust, a friend or family member that wants to help you and tell them what you want to do. Get a list together of poses and shots and go over it so this person knows what you want so even if you do pose them yourself you wont forget anything. Remember you hopefully do this only once and I seems like nothing now but later in life it is nice to have those memories on paper and not regret missing a shot because you forgot to get it in the rush to try and do everthing yourself.

If you have 8 guests then buy 8 disposable cameras and tell them to use them up! Get them all developed and put on CD and have a blast. You can use your camera on tripod for the Must have shots.

mike

oh dear... i had to look up Kananaskis... it sounded like Greece!!!

Canada!!! its a bloody long walk from here..... also includes a lot of swimming too :D

shame, cos looking at the website i just went to, looks like a fantastic place http://www.kananaskis.com/

look at them pics!!

How about this, use your camera but have one or your friends/family/guests use it. You can still get the poses you want and you can instruct them on what to do for controlling the camera/flash.

Some great ideas guys! I'm going to use a combination of all suggestions and I feel so much better about it already.

Thanks!

My brother hired a photographer for his wedding.

But he ALSO put disposable cameras on every table at the reception. Those unprofessional pictures show a really fun and interesting perspective of the day.

Most reactions

Back