Do I need a UV or Polarizer filter for these types of shots?

mikoh4792

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these shots today through a thick glass door. I'm aware shooting through more glass usually means less quality, but would the cause for this "hazy" appearance be due to the glass door, or from the sunlight? If it is the latter, would I need a UV/polarizer filter to make the colors more "clear" or stronger?

c8ef15ee-2f5e-4856-9a1b-1f07552ecca3_zpswmaku1hk.jpg

5d4197f9-dbd9-4ce5-88be-060808d551e3_zpsjshqimti.jpg

db16d671-0966-457a-9d6f-c8972cc28d79_zps3hvthpgh.jpg

ba81e360-4341-448a-8136-5c44fb5246c6_zpsrta7bgyr.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see a UV filter doing any good here (or at all for digital). Maybe a CP if you're having an issue with reflections on the glass. Are you shooting through a screen?

I don't see a UV filter doing any good here (or at all for digital). Maybe a CP if you're having an issue with reflections on the glass. Are you shooting through a screen?

No, I'm just shooting through glass.

Increase contrast a little bit. That should helps.
Contrast and saturation; if your software has a 'Clarity' slider, a little bit of that might help as well. A circular polarizer will probably improve the shots, but it will depend a lot on time of day and direction.

For example, using @tecboy's and @tirediron's suggestions on your first shot, increased contrast, saturation, and clarity, as well as decreased blacks:
BIRD2.png

The channel mixer adjustment was to preserve detail in the breast by pulling data from the green channel.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    430.6 KB · Views: 191
Digital cameras have a UV (and others) filter in front of the image sensor, so one isn't needed on the lens.
Unless you are at altitude, say 10,000 feet or higher.

Back lighting usually causes a loss of contrast.

A Skylight 1-A type UV filter can help a bit for landscape shots where the scene is hazy and the point of focus is far from the camera.

Other wise a CPL filter is the choice. Note however that the position of the main light source relative to the lens long axis has a lot to do with how effective a CPL filter can be.

Another way to regain contrast is to use some fill light from opposite the back lighting.

Great, thanks. I recently got lightroom so I'll try to see what I can do with pp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back