Do These Look Sharp to You?

Vicelord John

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
They don't to me.

Interested to hear what you think as well. BTW, having the Salt River in Phoenix actually flow is very very weird. I've lived here 25 years and never seen even a fraction of this amount of water.

DSC_2610.jpg

DSC_2602.jpg

DSC_2601.jpg

DSC_2599.jpg

DSC_2615.jpg

what time of day were those taken? That could be part of the problem

No, they don't.

The ones of the bridge look OK, but the others look pretty soft...

Is your sensor and lens clean? As far as the sensor goes, I'm not talking about dust. Is there a smudge or something on it?

What are you doing in PP?

Nothing really just colors and whatnot.

I wonder if it has anything to do with a lot of them being at 300 zoom handheld?

Last edited:
Hmm... Well, I have no idea what it could be. *Something* looks off to me though.

what time of day were these??? the last one looks too hazy, are you using a CPL?

Nothing really just colors and whatnot.

I wonder if it has anything to do with a lot of them being at 300 zoom handheld?
Yeah, that can be an issue. Conventional wisdom says that your shutter speed should be 1/focal length if you're going to handhold. So, with your D90, if you have 300mm lens in this regard it's acting like a 450mm so 1/450th of a second should be the slowest you should try to handhold. I find that I can't even do that... my hands are NOT steady in the least...

I think it may have something to do with your focus point.

With shots like 1 and 5, you have the city some distance away with a haze.. This often will be enough to get "soft" results.
With your series there, you have a whole lot of what they call "Storytelling", and I think the composing of them might be where you had some issues. Too much going on, Eyes jumping all around the photo, landing on parts of the photo that weren't the focal point, thus looking soft.

I think it may have something to do with your focus point.

With shots like 1 and 5, you have the city some distance away with a haze.. This often will be enough to get "soft" results.
With your series there, you have a whole lot of what they call "Storytelling", and I think the composing of them might be where you had some issues. Too much going on, Eyes jumping all around the photo, landing on parts of the photo that weren't the focal point, thus looking soft.

Thats a good point, for example number 3, there are about 10 different things that catch my eye, too much going on. no one focal point, although that is not helping the lack of intensity.

Well the focal point didnt really exist in these i was just trying to capture the river. Why would i not be able to get the whole scene in focus?

Do you have a selective focal meter on your camera?

Well the focal point didnt really exist in these i was just trying to capture the river. Why would i not be able to get the whole scene in focus?
There is always a focal point. Now depending on how you set your aperture, you'll get more or less detail throughout the photo. What was your Aperture set to?

I have given you loads of advice, don't shoot at mid-day your really pissing me off now :lol: sorry i have had a few beers

Most reactions

Back