Do You 'Back Button' Autofocus?

Does the Nikon D90 have it?

Absolutely. AF-ON is the only method I use ever. No switching between AF-C and AF-S and I control the focus, not the camera. Also seems to get more keepers with moving subjects.

Highly situation dependant as is the choice between AF-C and AF-S shooting modes. I find AF-On to be most useful in situations where there is a high chance of not finding focus for macro shots or night shots where you may want to focus once and shoot multiple frames.

I don't know about Canon but my Nikon has an exposure comp button about a half an inch from the shutter button and a thumb wheel to make it do whatever you want. :)

I've been doing this for years. It now freaks me out when I pick up a camera that uses the shutter release button to focus.

CF4 all the way!

Mostly the AF-On but as Garbs said it is really dependent on the subject. Which is true with any settings you will use on your camera or, should.

Why would you use the back button?
I prefer the half-press shutter, its quicker to use and I dont use exposure lock much

I use back button on my 40D which is mainly used for sports and wildlife. On the 5DII I am in studio a lot and use a wireless radio release.

Im not a hundred percent on this in my head. You can have the rear autofocus button autofocus differantly than the shutter autofocus? Does both buttons have to AF the same way? I have done zero research on the matter and it itrigued me.

Why would you use the back button?
I prefer the half-press shutter, its quicker to use and I dont use exposure lock much

I prefer it because it seperates the autofocus and shutter release functions to two seperate buttons. No gingerly half-pressing the shutter to get focus working, and no accidentally tripping the shutter, now to activate focus you have a much more positive action, and you can just bang the shutter button how you want.

As I said for me, I can leave my camera in AF-C, and not have to switch it.

I get more keepers with action shots too, this seems to be a general trend among people who use this method.

Not really sure on how Canon's works, but for my Nikon using the AF-ON button doesn't activate exposure lock(though I believe I can program it to do so), there is another button for that.

Most reactions

Back