Do You Have A "Professional" Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder how much the rent is? ;)

SDNight-e.jpg

I think I enjoyed this thread more than any I've read in a long time.

People really get touchy about their camera.

I have to admit that every now and then I "get back to basics". Sometimes I revert back to less than basic (you remember, when you had to cock the shutter to take the picture).

Sometimes it's all about the challenge. It's like some pics I've been doing recently of some blue herons. I love the birds. They sit still for long periods, fly gracefully and if I get there early enough, they don't even care if I'm perched on the rocks above them. I could easily set up with with a tripod, a 500 mm lens, remote cable and get the shot I want. Can I anticipate the bird's actions and get that shot using a small digital camera and a teleconverter..........not yet, but I keep trying.

There are times you have to impress a client with your equipment. More importantly is the ability to impress yourself with your photographs.

DIRT said:
If a person IS professional, they should be able to get a great image on any camera wether a digital super hero or a paint can pinhole cam.

See, I would change that to "If a person IS a great photographer...". A professional is someone who merely makes money. We infer that the term "professional" means better quality, greater skills, etc..., but all it really means is that it's gonna cost you. ;) I've seen too many "pros" who were horrible photographers, and plenty of amateur photographers who produce stunning work. Cheers to the amateur!

It's all about knowing the limitations of the camera you are using and working within them.
An expensive 'pro' camera with lots of bells and whistles that bolt on just gives you more scope and flexibility - but this often works against creativity and can lead to 'gadget mentality'.
The number of times I have heard people say things like 'I would have got a great shot if only I had had the right lens'. It's just an excuse for not being very good.
A good photographer will get the best shot he can with whatever he has in his hands.

I think "It is the photographer, not the tool" statement might not literally be applicable in all cases. Yes, it defenitely is the photographer who should pull the strings, but certain tools would help photographers acheive their goals. Can we shoot for the Sports Illustrated with a pinhole?

"wow those are nice pictures... you must have a really good camera."

if i had a nickel for every time i heard that phrase, i would have paid off my mamiya by now!

think of it this way... "wow this meal is delicious. you must have really nice pots and pans."

;)
meredith

ksmattfish said:
Maybe not every photog, but I've seen some pinholers who I think could.
Cool, would you happen to have links to their work?

ksmattfish said:
See, I would change that to "If a person IS a great photographer...". A professional is someone who merely makes money. We infer that the term "professional" means better quality, greater skills, etc..., but all it really means is that it's gonna cost you. ;) I've seen too many "pros" who were horrible photographers, and plenty of amateur photographers who produce stunning work. Cheers to the amateur!

Sweet, that makes me a professional! haha! YES! I get paid and such to do some photography....w000t in your face! (Sorry)

hehe I agree, great photographer I am not, and I still have a top of the range camera :( I have no excuse :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back