Do you look at the reviews on dpreview.com to make a decision?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Also, are the test shots on websites really a good way of measuring image quality? I was looking at dpreview.com, and it rates the 20D as being much better in image quality than the D70. Yet, no one I have heard in real life has complained. I did hear a few say they don't like the way Nikon handles noise at high ISOs, but, once again, the review says its better cause its more hands-off.

I just want to know if any of you people on here (newbies and professionals alike) would ever use a review off of a website like dpreview.com to make your decision. I have been, and I'm starting to think its a bad idea to do so.

I used dpreview to compare my top choices when I decided on my camera. I didn't really know where else to look, because most sites didn't seem nearly as in-depth and well set up. I still went to a camera store and actually tried out my top choices, but I got most of my information from that site since most of the store employees were biased towards whatever type of camera they happen to use (or worse, whatever camera is more expensive). I don't really regret it, since the site didn't favor any particular brands or let that interfere with their comparison.

Now that I'm involved with a photographic community, I think I will value their opinions more when I decide it is time to upgrade. However, things like dpreview and other comparison sites are a good starting point. Why not let someone else do all the research so you can take your time actually trying the camera instead of reading about it?

dpreview has about the best, most in-depth and standardized reviews available. I like them very much. Just because one camera does better than another doesn't mean its crap, it's just different.

DPReview's pretty good for the objective stuff like camera reviews, avoid the boards though, they're terrible.

I find it a useful dip-check to keep an eye on what's going on n the market, but I wouldn't say it's ultimately what I base any decisions on.

If you go to the in depth review, and then go through that in the photographic test they have ISO tests and stuff like that, also just going through it, it compares 2 or 3 similar cameras and makes comments about which was better in certain areas.

DPReview is one that I always check, but generally I check as many 'sites as I can to find information on a given item. I do tend to believe what they say a little more, but I don't take their word as gospel.

Like most here, I value it's information and I did read up on the D200 there before I made my decision... but it was far from the only thing I did before I plunked down my $$.

If used as it was meant to be (one of many tools before making a choice), its acceptable. Forget the forums... lol. Ignorance roams freely amongst the masses there for some reason.

Just stay out of their forums and you'll be fine. I'm not kidding. The kind of gits who use photoshop to make an image of a lens that doesn't exist (New Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 VR :lol:) and then claim they have insider information and it's about to be released should just be perabanned from review forums.

For lenses I typically use www.photozone.de But just like everyone else here, multiple sources are always a good idea.

dpreview is one of the places I've used to make my decision. I also looked at others tho I can't remember what they were lol. But I usually tend to avoid one singular source due to my apprehensions of their motives so I go on several different ones I happen to find

Like others i've uesd dpreview but many others. I often refer to B&H customer reviews and sometimes Amazon customer reviews as well.
I've also used www.the-digital-picture.com since my gear is Canon.
The more places i can read the better and one or two bad reviews won't necessarily stop me from buying the item because not every item is suitable for everyone.

Senior-- why do you say you're starting to think dpreview is a bad thing? Is it that particular site, or that style of site? What sort of alternative sources of information have you been looking at?

Well, truthfully it was when I was comparing the D70 to the 20D.

I looked at image comparisons and they seemed to say that the D20 is a lot better than the D70 in noise cancellation and image quality. Yet when I talk to people, I don't hear this. Its really confusing to me, as it seems like the D70 isn't worth it. It seems like they really exaggerate the differences, possibly?

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS20D/Samples/ISO/lumi_graph.gif

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS20D/page25.asp

It just leads me to believe the Nikon's not worth getting. But surely this isn't true! :)

Their reviews are so in-depth it is quite impressive. They weighed heavily into my decision into getting the rebel xsi.

I don't bother with dpreview. I use DCResource as Jeff reviews dSLRs. Other than that I just use my eyes and brain.

Most reactions

Back