Do you make your models / clients skinnier?

Parker219

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are your guidelines to using editing software to make people skinnier?...I personally use "luquify" and then the "pucker" tool in photoshop.

If your photo was going to be in a magazine, would you use it?

If you were shooting for a family, would you make the mom or dad a little skinnier?

If you were shooting a senior portrait / wedding, would you use it?

I am NOT talking about making someone overweight look skinny, I am talking about just shaving off some extra arm fat, or making them just a little thinner in a certain area.

Do you ask the client first?

I am looking for any and all comments on the topic.

Thank You

I dont know how to do any of that fancy photoshopping stuff outside of minor adjustments like color, WB, cropping.
I pretty much only use lightroom.
so....nope.
if your fluffy when you get in front of my camera, you will be fluffy in your picture.
if you have some acne, i can get rid of that in post, but thats about it.

how about making them look skinnier using lighting, appropriate focal lengths, camera positions and wardrobe?

Photoshop isn't cheating anymore than any other photography or production tool.

As long as it's done in good taste and people like it there will always be demand for these sort of cosmetic adjustments.

how about making them look skinnier using lighting, appropriate focal lengths, camera positions and wardrobe?

As long as it's done in good taste and people like it there will always be demand for these sort of cosmetic adjustments.

True. So you do it?

True. So you do it?

I haven't, but if I did more people photography I certainly would.

I do it if requested by the client. I charge extra for it. But I certainly don't push it as an up sell package.

At the end of the day it's the client's choice, but I never want them to think it's necessary.

Mostly, I just go ahead and clean up lines that are not pleasing. So yes, if there is some arm fat hanging down, I push it up a little. Jeans squeezing around the mid section? I smooth that out. pushing some out, pulling some in to find a happy medium.

I do my best to get it done with posing, but I don't see anything wrong with "cleaning up" an image.

I'm all for it! its not just a "size" related issue either. I am a pretty petite at just over 5 feet and 113 lbs- I still find it nessessary to liquify SOMETHING on every selfie. ;-) That same lady you just liquified is likely wearing 10 lbs of makeup, hair spray and a pair of spanks anyways. Digital or not- all beauty is a lie. ;-)

Ps- I don't discriminate against liqyifying men either. ;-)

Last edited:
I prefer to do my "sculpting" by using appropriate lighting and posing and recommending appropriate clothing choices. I will occasionally do very minor liquify adjustments, but normally its just because a particular pose has caused a wrinkle or line to appear that is less than flattering. I've never actually "digitally dieted" a client.

Our clients tend to be very savvy about what is possible these days with digital technology and Photoshop. So, yes, just about every portrait session we do, especially if they're buying wall portraits, gets retouching and artwork--often slimming.
However, that being said, we are appalled at and will NEVER use software like Portrait Professional on our clients! Altering people's bone structure, nose shape, and flattening faces with the skin smoothing that these programs do is NOT professional.

Sorry about the RANT…..

So, yes we do customized artwork, manually, in Photoshop on most of our ladies--there's ALWAYS something they don't like about themselves--and they're ALWAYS thrilled with how we make them look. And, because they are thrilled they refer us to their lady friends for their family portraits!

I will remove blemishes, I have removed braces off teeth, and I've trimmed the waist off a couple of girls for a calendar shoot I did, but for the most part, people are who they are. I tend to find that people who request that they are made thinner should spend a little more time getting themselves thinner and not pretending to be something they are not.

I generally don't make people skinnier, but I might even out some roll over a waistline or a tight bra strap.

That said, I would have no qualms about doing so.

I also often make people appear more toned or have a more solid bone structure with dodging and burning highlights and/or shadows.

Depends on if the model seems bigger because they are a bigger person or because of the lens, angle and compression of 3D space into 2D space.

Most reactions

Back