Do you regret anything?

Only leaving a camera bag with 2 Canon A1 bodies and a bunch of lenses and other stuff in a car overnight. It wasn't there next morning, neither was it insured.

i regret going "cheap". i got the XTi and even that was out of my price range. if i knew i was going to love it so much i would have waited and saved more for a better body. that being said, i do love my XTi. i just wish that i knew i wouldn't have to upgrade later on. if i want to take my photography to the point of reaching my ultimate goal (professional level), i know i will have to upgrade. it's kind of upsetting. but i try not to let it limit me.

I'm brandy-new here, but saw this thread and felt the need to post.

I don't have any regrets gear-wise thus far. I learned on an old Pentax SLR that my Dad had from his time in Vietnam. My first camera was a Nikon N6006 SLR that was a high school graduation present. That camera served me well as I got into B&W, worked with the yearbook in college, and generally became "that guy" who always had the camera at events. The best man at our wedding gave us a gift that allowed me to get into the digital age with a D70s. At the time, I had to go with the 18-70 f/3.5-5.5 kit lens. It's Nikon glass, but not much better than the 35-55mm that I had on the N6006. Still, lots of practice and lots of learning from others allowed me to get some good shots. I've had my Dad's old Vivitar flash unit, too, which has served me well.

I was recently asked to help photograph a friend's wedding, and so decided to do a serious upgrade. Later this week, I will become owner of a D700, a 24mm f/2.8, a 50mm f/1.4, an 85mm f/1.8, and an SB-900 (yes, all Nikon). After a lot of research, I think that this will get me to a good spot while I work on saving for the next upgrade in glass.

Given the cash that I just dropped on that gear, my only perceptible regret is that I didn't invest in better lenses earlier. The expense usually caused me to shy away, as I was getting "good enough" from what I had. After using a few of my Dad's lenses over the past few years (he shoots a D70 with high-end Nikkors), I wish I had bought a few along the way, so that I'd only be looking at the body and maybe lighting upgrade now.

This gets my collection started, though, and I can't see any serious regrets in the future. Who knows what Thursday will bring, though.... :)

jonathan

Can I regret a picture I failed to take ? :)

I was driving in light rain from my house to a friends across town, as I left my road I saw two amazing bright colorful rainbows in the sky next to each other like an 'm'

As I passed another main road, one leading into an industrial area I looked right and saw one of the rainbows lanfding at the end of that road, actually 'seemingly' to hit the floor, I've been gutted about missing this opportunity ever since as I would have stopped my car and stood in the middle of the road for it :-(

great forum, I need to come here more often !!

Regrets? So far no. I got the 450D Kit as a reward for my work so that's hard to regret since i lost no money. Then I bought a lowepro bag and love it a lot. And the latest investment was a monkeypod (cheap version of gorillapod, costs 10€ and carries easily my camera, and more).

So far then no regrets but now my current shopping list is worth 3700€ so "some" elimination from that must be done before going to the shops :D. That will happen next summer most likely and i'm already afraid of ending up buying everything, and some, and then feeling like crap when looking into my bank account ;).

hmm my only regret is the kit lens for the 400D ;)

Honestly I don't have any regrets about my current kit. I don't really have any problems with it that I was not mostly aware of before I got the kit. I mostly try to plan things out before I go through with them so I have a reasonable idea of what I am still after - though the recent price rises are making me consider a few alternatives.
Whiles owning the best of the best is good - sometimes its better to go with something cheaper for the shorter term since you can't take photos with kit if you don't have it to use.

Sigma 24-60 f/2.8. Total piece of garbage.

Most reactions

Back