Does anybody collect knives or tools?

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. Just wandered into this section. Figured i'd see who else here is into my hobbies. My two MAIN hobbies besides for photography are knife collecting (well, not really "collecting" but i have amounted a ton) as well as tools. I originally studied IT but could never find a job where i'm currently living doing computer work so i went the way of automotive to make some money while i (still) wait for my chance at my original study. Over that time period of about 8 years or so professionally i have acquired a TON of tools. In fact, i'm finding new and creative ways to store them in my billion pound toolbox. If anybody wants pictures (this is a photo forum after all) feel free to ask and i'll snap a few, but i'll list my most carried knives since it's easier than all of my tools lol. Lastly, i also enjoy BMX biking, Mountain Biking, Motorcycles, i have a couple reptiles, i am VERY much into freshwater fishing (trout in the beginning of the season and then bass until they go deeper), i just recently got into kayaking, archery (and hunting), airgun shooting, hiking & or general woods exploring. I feel like i'm missing a bunch... I also have amounted a few watches, many flashlights, multi tools, fixed blades. I could go on... i'm a man of many talents and hobbies lol. Anyways, here's my EDC stuff

-Chris Reeve Large Sebenza 21 Carbon Fiber
-ESEE 4 in Orange and Venom Green
-Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in Digi Cam, non coated blade (My most carried EDC)
-ZT 0561 which i customized front to back
-Benchmade Griptilian in D2 (Cabelas)
-Kershaw Blur
-Spyderco Caly3 in ZDP-189 and Carbon Fiber
-Spyderco Manix 2 XL (another favorite EDC of mine)
-Spyderco Military black on black
-Victorinox Huntsman Lite
-Victorinox SwissChamp
-Opinel #8
-Case Medium Stockman in Amber Bone (Carbon blades)
-Benchmade Benchmite II
-Spyderco Salt I
-Leatherman Charge TTi
-Evans Knife and tool (i forget the model name, it's a small fixed blade with carbon fiber handles)
-A custom fixed blade i had made out of O1 tool steel and maple burl handles (full tang)

**I carry only ONE of these unless i'm in the woods, then i'll pair a fixed blade with a multi tool

I also sometimes carry a light in my pocket depending on what the day may bring

-Streamlight Stylus Pro
-Streamlight Microstream
-FourSevens Preon 2
-Just recently i had the pleasure of buying a Zebralight SC600 III which is my new favorite!

As far as my tools go, i am not a tooltruck junkie. I buy quality tools from quality makers but i do not prefer tool trucks. I am very heavily into tools to the point where i have come to know certain makers type of tools and more than likely the ones i see in shops stamped *Tool truck brand* i can find from the OEM at a much cheaper price with their name on the tool. I always found it annoying that tool trucks stamp their name on somebody elses tool and take credit for it (i know they buy the rights but still....). My tools are kept IN a snap on toolbox, but i only own two snap on tools in the box. Anyways, share away guys!

DragonKnife.jpg
ESEE4.jpg
20161115_235727.jpg

Some of what I have on my phone.

TMI lol

But I read it so Im responding hah

I have a 10" Tojiro Gyoto Cobalt/VG10 blade. That makes all the rest of my knives useless besides the occasional need to peel something with a paring knife.

Do you collect small knifes in case a small branch gets in your way or are some for bigger branches, or whats the point if Im missing it? Is it just a childhood facination with jack knives that carries over to spending real money as an adult? I just find it fascinating because I use a knife all day ( cooking) and there is this whole side world of " hunting" knives....

What is tool truck brand?

I don't so much collect them as much as I just appreciate a quality knife. I meant collect as in I've bought so many I now have a collection of them. I don't buy knives with a specific task in mind besides for fixed blades which are usually for the outdoors. Splitting small wood, cleaning up fish I catch or whatever else (I'll spare people specifics), they have no parts that can go wrong or really rust. No fascination, I saw the adult men in my family carrying knives so I knew they were useful. After learning about blade steels, edge geometries, specific uses, etc. I found myself wanting quality. It went from wanting a knife that can cut to really looking for pieces of art or knives I knew I wouldn't bed to buy more than 1 of. The knife with the Dragon fly is a $455 knife, but it's also a piece of art. Most people can get away with one cheap knife, but most people can also get away with a disposable camera. But we know disposable isn't what we're after for quality, it just "works". Tool truck brands are like snap on, mac, matco, cornwell. Traveling trucks that come by week after week to sell tools and collect money. They give somebody credit if they don't have cash and then you pay weekly until the tool(s) are paid off.

Theres a travelling truck type that comes to restaurants with a grinder, dont let them have your knives if you ever meet them! LoL

They took the serration right of a bread knife of mine. Henkel still owes me that knife ( took it in warranty and never returned) but better yet I'll never buy another Henkel. They'll ruin cutting boards too if you let them.

Dragonfly sounds like an impulse/ instant gratification buy as it doesnt fill a need or a spot in a collection.

A 1$ Vic can probably do a similar job. I love sharp cheap paring knives. They dont go "missing"... lols

Theres a travelling truck type that comes to restaurants with a grinder, dont let them have your knives if you ever meet them! LoL

They took the serration right of a bread knife of mine. Henkel still owes me that knife ( took it in warranty and never returned) but better yet I'll never buy another Henkel. They'll ruin cutting boards too if you let them.

Dragonfly sounds like an impulse/ instant gratification buy as it doesnt fill a need or a spot in a collection.

A 1$ Vic can probably do a similar job. I love sharp cheap paring knives. They dont go "missing"... lols
That knife is called a Sebenza 21. It would be like an old Leica, only right to a certain buyer who can appreciate it and see is value. The tolerances on that knife are so tight that you can lock down the pivot bolt as tight as you can and the blade will still be smooth. The blade is also perfectly centered in the handles. The pocket clip and gray portion of the knife are titanium as well as the blue posts, while the other side is solid carbon fiber. You also buy service for life with the knife. Anything goes wrong, send it in. They hold their value well through the years. Some people have 50 or more! I am not a "collector" so I don't have that issue lol. I did not know trucks came to restaurants. What are good brands of kitchen knives in the business?

I like Tojiro. ( cheap and on amazon.ca, fits my MO) There are many others, Japan produces many as they have a great tradition in knife making carrying iver from the old days of swords and such. German steel is known as well as French and all have there special qualities.

Kobalt is a carbon,which is soft, VG10 is harder for the center of the blade. I use a king whet 100/600 stone and sharpen regularly. I've had about 10 Chef Knives and possibly 100 or so all together kitchen knives, I however do not collect them.

That drawer says you are a collector sorry lol. Otherwise you would have one ( or two) jackknives and not post about it as a "hobby" ;)

Eh, to each their own. I think knife collecting is more of a brand/pattern type thing. All of my knives are a mix of everything. I have just collected a bunch. The cheapest know I own is that opinel all the way on the bottom left and it cuts just as good as any other knife I own. Tools however...

20161115_235332.jpg
20161115_235709.jpg
20161115_235636.jpg
20161116_000408.jpg
20161116_000421.jpg
20161116_000613.jpg
20161116_000643.jpg
20161116_000659.jpg
20161116_000712.jpg

The only tool I've bought since these were taken were in my power tool drawer. I gave my brother the second gun from the left (Milwaukee 3/8,red) and replaced it with an Ingersoll Rand W5132 3/8. Well worth the upgrade.

A couple Ka-Bars (1x dog head) for adventure camping and my 1984 bought Victorinox Champion

Dogs head is an awesome knife! I believe the champion and Swiss champ are similar with subtle differences. Do you still use it?

Cool thread, I'll have to find some of my older stuff.

I don't want to brag but I do have a dozen or so butter knives.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back