Does anyone here use live view?

Baaaark said:
Its easier to see the image

In bright daylight? I've used live-view on my wifes P&S 3" screen, and no matter the lighting, I still think it's easier to see the image through my viewfinder.

you can see outside things going on (instead of JUST seeing the shot)
I only want to see my shot. Everything else is a distraction. When I am taking a shot, the only thing that matters in the world is whats in the viewfinder. After the shot is taken, I can look up, recompose, reshoot, rinse, repeat. I'm sorry if I don't see that as a benefit.

and it doesn't dry out my contacts looking at the screen
I don't have contacts, so that could certainly be a benefit. :)

Lastly, the camera is still just as stable as it would be up to your eyes
I have to completely disagree with this statement. It's hard to argue that holding a camera in front of you (two unstable points of contact) is as stable as holding it in, with elbows tucked, creating a 'tripod' with your body (two arms, and your head create three stable points of contact).

so there's no real downside
:er:

Here's some other things to consider:

Live view will drain your battery faster. It's worthless in the sun. I personally find it harder to tell if an image is in focus using live view. Try using live view with long/heavy glass.

There are some definite benefits to live view (macro work, street level stuff, etc), but for 95% of the photography I do, live view is impractical. My argument is not "Real photographers don't use live view!" it's that live view simply isn't practical for most applications with a DSLR, at least for me.

how can i see what I am shooting if shooting from the hip in live view? Not being sarcastic, I'm always looking for tips to help me out. My hip shooting is essentially using a wide angle and trying to the best of my ability to aim the camera at the person, snap and pray :)

hehe, or just snap and have good aim.
i don't need or even want it . . .
liveview= cool . . . but i don't really need it, its cool, it has applications . . . but not ones that really affect me. i'm sure if i had it i would force myself to find a use . . . but as of now, i'm not having any issues with my shooting that would require me to get live view.

one thing i DO think is really nice, is when your setting up a remote camera on a magic arm, or really low to the ground (while upsidedown) and trying to still use the viewfinder.

I seldom use the liveview on my 40D, but it comes in handy sometimes.

This image was taken with Liveview. The camera was positioned couple inches above the ground. And the Liveview made it easier. Liveview is a tool, use it if you need it. You do not have to use it, but why not. ;)

3483059287_845609df13.jpg

I don't use Live View, My Camera doesn't have live view. But sometimes lv is a good thing to have like...

1) Macro The screen allows you to get a bigger place to look at and help get the best focus as you can.
2) Crowds LV allows you to put the camera above the rest of the crowd and still be able to know what you are taking a picture about.
Everything has its own time and place if i had i would use it for the reason mentioned above, other than that i would just feel weird useing LV full time. Some people chose to use LV full time and if that is you great. There is really no reason for people to harp on the LV users, LV is just another tool to get the job done.
I just hope that it dosen't get to the point were there is only live view and no view finder as can be found on some of the point and shoot camera.

Most reactions

Back